Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharing Waypoints

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sharing Waypoints

Maybe a dumb question but new to the 2 fish finders with GPS.

If you mark a waypoint with your fish finder at the console with the transducer mounted on transom and share the waypoint with your fish finder at the bow with transducer mounted on Trolling Motor, if looking at the waypoint at the bow would it now track the waypoint with the bow transducer or be off a few feet because it was marked at the console.

Post Thanks / Like

The waypoint is marked wherever the GPS is located, so when you mark at the console, you are actually marking the console, not the transducer. Even tho you marked where you saw the cover, you will automatically be off by the distance the head unit is from the transducer. When you return to that spot, the GPS will say you are there, but you will be off by several feet because of the difference between the transducer and the head unit.
    When you mark the waypoint from the bow mount and you are using a transducer at the TM, there won't be that difference because they are sitting on top of each other, but if you use a waypoint from the console at your front unit, you will be off by about 10'

Hope this makes sense

Post Thanks / Like

The transducer has nothing to do with waypoints . They are running off
    satellite which most units have a built in antenna or you can add a puck
    (external antenna ). That will be your source.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, a lot of the newest units have an external GPS puck and it is usually mounted as close as possible to the transducer. That way you are actually marking the spot where the transducer is looking

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Any given GPS is gonna be off by a few feet anyway. I've always been told you use the GPS waypoint to get you close enough, then use your graph to find the actual brushpile or stump. The difference between the GPS Unit itself and the antenna will just add that much more difference, but I don't think any of it is insurmountable.

Likes Hookin'&Cookin' LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you. Then there is a position change on your mapping
    every year. Can't remember how many feet change but after about
    three years that way point you set 25' off the shore line might show
    you on dry land.

Post Thanks / Like

Will the waypoint say which unit it was taken from (bow or console)

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

No way to tell which one made the waypoint unless you go in and add a name or a number to the waypoint. Some guys use a different symbol for each one instead of the standard number that it automatically gives them. I like to make waypoints and give them the skull and crossbones symbol for trees I hit when idling in and out of coves. Then I know later to avoid that waypoint and not run into anything. If you have external GPS antenna it can be mounted on the back of the boat close to the rear transducer. That will be as close as you can get to marking it where you seen it with a console unit. You can always mark it with that units and then find it with the trolling motor graph and make a new waypoint directly over the structure and delete the first one. If you have side imaging you can scroll over to the structure and mark the waypoint which will get you real close when trying to find it with the trolling motor unit.

Post Thanks / Like

While on the topic, will it make a difference if the units are networked. I was looking into networking my hds5's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast