Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Green River

Post Thanks / Like

Default Green River

Went down the other day and put in at Holmes Bend. Caught mostly smaller fish all day, but seemed to catch larger fish on twister tail jigs when we tried them later in the morning. Only 10 keepers out of about 40 fish caught. Fish were caught between 12-20 ft deep.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Hey Newlight2 ....

Quote Originally Posted by Newlight2
    Went down the other day and put in at Holmes Bend. Caught mostly smaller fish all day, but seemed to catch larger fish on twister tail jigs when we tried them later in the morning. Only 10 keepers out of about 40 fish caught. Fish were caught between 12-20 ft deep.
    Whereabouts did you fish ? I've been down that way a few times in the Fall. Caught fish on the flats, around the corner from Holmes Bend dock ... headed towards the bridge. Never fished beyond the bridge ... but, I have done very well, in years past, up around the State Campgrounds and around to Emerald Isle Marina. I've mostly fished it in the Spring, usually around the 3rd week of April. Caught most of my Crappie from there, on 1/16oz Chartreuse Roadrunners ... but, tube jigs have produced, too.

Thanks for the report !! ..... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

We fished down the lake toward Butler Creek and came back up the lake fishing several places where there was brush in 15-20 feet of water. I tried several of the places I had caught fish in this last spring, but no luck to speak of on keepers. We got off the lake around 4:30 pm as we had over an hours drive to get home. My neighbor had just been a couple days before and had done really well with 28 keepers from the deeper water in the bend on the right directly across from Butler. He went again today but I didn't catch him before he cleaned up to go to work tonight. Maybe I'll see him tomorrow afternoon as I'd like to head out again in a day or two. I read on the Alabama board where you had a great trip down to Weiss. Brings back a lot of great fishing memories from way back in the late eighties. My former high school coach has a 3 1/2 Lber.on his wall caught out of the Coosa right where the lake empties into the river. We always seemed to do much better putting in at Mountain View and trolling the river than we did up in the lake itself.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have to try up near the pipeline next time. There's a lot of flat, more shallow area up there right before you get to the bridge. I've had good luck up there before, just havn't been up there recently.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Like fishing Weiss ....

Quote Originally Posted by Newlight2
    I read on the Alabama board where you had a great trip down to Weiss. Brings back a lot of great fishing memories from way back in the late eighties. My former high school coach has a 3 1/2 Lber.on his wall caught out of the Coosa right where the lake empties into the river. We always seemed to do much better putting in at Mountain View and trolling the river than we did up in the lake itself.
    just don't get to go all that often. Have only had one bad trip, there ... and the lake was up and muddy from some recent heavy rains. Most of my best "out of state" trips have been at Watts Bar .... but, like Weiss, it's all in the timing of the trip. Watts Bar is a 4hr trip ... Weiss is a 6hr trip - so I don't get to make it down that way more than a couple of times a year. Even Green River Lake is a 2hr drive ... and Taylorsville or Cave Run are 1.5hr drives. Hopefully, when I get my lil bros boat functional, or buy myself one ... then I can start getting back to some of the lakes I used to fish so often (Green River, Herrington, Cave Run, Taylorsville). ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Return Trip

Today we tried up the lake and fished some of the deep brush piles along the channel just before you get to the bridge. Caught 56 with 14 keepers. Largest was 13 inches. Tried drifting some , but didn't consistently catch fish that way like we have; not enough wind.

Post Thanks / Like

Went again today. Beautiful day, caught a lot of fish, but the keepers were somewhere else. Fished brush by channels and flats, but did better on some brush just off the main lake. one was 13.5 inches the rest in the 9-10 inch range. 48 dinks - 10 keepers