Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spider rigging

Post Thanks / Like

Default spider rigging

want to start using this method on the lake at home but how do you keep from hanging up all the time on structure? any help is appreciated, thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Somebody once told me that if you aint hanging up, you aint fishing.
    Team "Itch N 2 Fish"

Post Thanks / Like

Dern good question, help us both out!
    Quote Originally Posted by woodturner View Post
    want to start using this method on the lake at home but how do you keep from hanging up all the time on structure? any help is appreciated, thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean. Only tried a few times and was always hanging up.

RogerA is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I spider rig most of the time and I will tell you I stay hung up a lot and sometimes it gets VERY frustrating. It is just something that you have to do enough to get used to and be able to tell when you are starting to get hung and quickly back up and let the weight drop and a lot of times it will come right off. I like to do it because I have caught some of the largest fish of my life doing it. Some days you can load the boat with good quality fish when no one else is doing very good. I am not as good as some other folks at doing it but hope to one day learn it a little better.
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, and Trust in our Creator who Loves us

Post Thanks / Like

Spider rigging, at least for me is for open water. The one exception is flats with stumps where you can keep your jigs just over the tops of the stumps. It works great for swattered fish on flats during the summer.
    Likes alexava LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RogerA View Post
    I spider rig most of the time and I will tell you I stay hung up a lot and sometimes it gets VERY frustrating. It is just something that you have to do enough to get used to and be able to tell when you are starting to get hung and quickly back up and let the weight drop and a lot of times it will come right off. I like to do it because I have caught some of the largest fish of my life doing it. Some days you can load the boat with good quality fish when no one else is doing very good. I am not as good as some other folks at doing it but hope to one day learn it a little better.
    Don't sell yourself short. You and the wife do quite ell. If could get as good as you. See you next Saturday.

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of time I'll have one rod spider rigging out the front of the boat while I'm long lining just for kicks. Catch fish but whenever I solely do it I get to frustrated with getting hung up, especially in water where depth varies. How fast do you go spider rigging. Thinking a might try a little more often. Have been plenty of times, especially this time of year where fish are deeper than my long lining can get to.

Post Thanks / Like

i really appreciate the help thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

Spider Rig can be a big fish killer. yes u hang up but u can go where trollers can't. Them stumps in the back of hollers like spring creek (weiss) are going to be full of big spawners in 2 to 4 ft of water. I keep my jig 12 to 18 inches deep. we used 4 20ft rods straight out front. it takes team work. I keep boat creeping along if I snag I hand rod to partner we won 600.00 on Oconee big fish 2.86 doing this. try weedless hooks with big minnow. If wind is blowing I longline It excites me too (think) I'm fishing where no one has and spider rig u can get too those shallow hawgs. Tip straighten ur wire hook and bend it back the way dock shooters do and you will get alot of them back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast