Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Describe your ice gear

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Describe your ice gear

I spotted thsi post from KenKinser on the other thread:

" My ice house is a Pop-up deer blind,My sled is a kids little red wagon, got two coleman heaters and a lawn chair, got 4 ice fishing rods I'm ready when the ice gets "

Since we only get safe ice once in a while, we don't want to invest in all the good stuff on the market when it will spend most of its time in the attic. We use a kid's plastic sled to pull our stuff and a bucket to sit on. We use an ice rod apiece, plus our shortest ul crappie rods. Thinking about getting a couple of tip-ups this year. We've taken our Humminbird portable FF, but the cold killed the batteries in about 30 minutes. Doug taped the transducer to a pole and stuck it down the hole.

How's that deer blind work? We thought about doing that, too, since they're so much cheaper than a two-man clam.

Favorite jig is a Northland Tackle swimming jig - the kind that looks like a banana. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Roberta there are plenty of models out there for under 200 dollars. The deerblind is pretty much just like a shanty without the floor. And I have known a few guys that actually ice fished out of a tent.
    G & G Baits Ice Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I currently live in North Carolina, but I grew up in Upstate New York, so I'll "chime in" here every now and then. Roberta, if you do not want to make an investment then another option to consider besides the "tip-up" is the "tip-down".. These are mush less expensive because you can build them yourself.

"Tip-Downs" are basically two pieces of wood hinged into a upside down "T". The pole which you can fashion out of a wooden spindle sits on top. The back will be all the way down on the wood. When you get a bite the front tip will go down... hence the name.. In NY you are alowed 5 of these per person in addition two two regular ice fishing poles.

-REDBOAT

Post Thanks / Like

Ohio law permits two poles and six tip-ups. Nothing in the regs for what you describe. Sounds like a wooden rod holder? Can you post a pic?

When it comes to a shelter, I'm just looking for something to block the wind a little. Cheap, lightweight and easy to move around. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Redboat, Those tip downs sounds interesting. I would like to find a diagram to build a couple.
    Roberta, Go to either Ebay or www.ohiogamefishing.com and check on a used shanty. You should be able to get one cheap enough right now.
    Myself, I have a one man and a 2 man. The 1 man being a clam type and the 2 man being a homemade fold down. I have a 6" auger, tomcat heater and several rods for panfish as well as my saugeye equipment. Peidmont is killer for saugeye through the ice.
    Tim
    Ohio State Board moderator
    www.easternbuckeyecrappieclub.com
    or [email protected]
    NAFC Life Member

Post Thanks / Like

Thats exactly what it is... a wooden rod holder...I'll see what I can come with for picture... my geer is up north and I am down south..might take a couple of days though.

Post Thanks / Like

Always check the regs...any questions contact your local dnr official. But like the concept of the tip down. I would like to see a pic.

On the shelters...best bet are the flip top style that are all self contained. No set up required just throw your stuff in and go. One person models like this will cost you around $200. The alternative to this is a pop-up. You can get these for under $200 and can possibly seat up to 4 persons. The draw back is that you have to set these up on the ice. But once set up they are easy to move. But you have to tear them down when you are done. The only other thing I can tell you is to experiment. A lot of guys I fish with have made their own shanties due to cost. Go to marinegeneral.com, and see what they got and maybe get an idea or two on how you can build one on your own! Rico in northern Indiana
    G & G Baits Ice Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

or [email protected]
    NAFC Life Member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bttmline
    "Exactly" for the pole you can even use a wooden spindle with a eye screw in the end, then two nails in the other end to wrap your line around.

Post Thanks / Like

now we got the icewater going in my veins. Also check ebay for icefishing lure and such.
    Tim
    or [email protected]
    NAFC Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast