Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice Fishing Help !!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ice Fishing Help !!!!!!!

Just got a hand auger and me and a buddy went out to try some pond fishing since the ice will probably be gone by the weekend here in Missouri. We fished two ponds that have plenty of crappie in them (at least they did in the fall). Neither pond is particularly big, maybe an acre, give or take. We went to the deepest part and started to drill holes. The first pond was 10 feet at the deepest point and the second pond was 15 feet. I have a vexilar and didn't mark any fish. We started punching holes elsewhere with the same results–marked nothing. We punched holes all over that pond. We finally stopped and started fishing the deep holes. No bites, nothing. We fished everywhere on that pond–nada. Fished two inches off the bottom and slowly moved it up incrementally over the whole column.

We were both using a blue/white tube jig tipped with a crappie nibble. Should we have used something different? Wax worms (there are none available where I'm at)?

Finally, on the second pond we each managed to pull in a small bass. It was very frustrating as I thought this would not be a difficult experience.

Obviously I have no clue as to what I'm doing, but would like to learn. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Some days are like that, sounds like your doing things right. When fishing ponds or small bodies I try and start in the deepest water and go from there. I use wax worms alot it seems to help when the fish are not on fire. Don't give up it's a great sport and a fun day with friends....good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

What time of day was it? Ice fishing is always very early late.

Post Thanks / Like

Lose the tube and just stick a spike or Gulp grub on the jig head. Around here, guys have been catching off structure.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses. We fished in the late afternoon.

I don't think either pond had much structure, but would the fish still hang out near the structure even if it is in shallower water? The little reading I have done says that they'll leave the structure in the winter to go to the deeper water.

What surprised me most is that I didn't mark any fish on my fish finder. Is that common? I understand there are days they just don't bite, but I've still had days where I at least marked fish. Could it be possible that they somehow died out?

I'll have to see if I can get some grubs. We're supposed to have temps in the 50's this weekend so I'm guessing it's "bye-bye" ice fishing for this year.

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt that the fish died out, just last week I fish the city lake where I catch crappie and gills during the spring but that day I didn't mark a fish. When that happens I look for another area to fish. It happens, why I don't know It was the middle of the day so perhaps if I would of stayed late the bite might have picked up. It's crazy but still beats working.......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wigglewart View Post
    I doubt that the fish died out, just last week I fish the city lake where I catch crappie and gills during the spring but that day I didn't mark a fish. When that happens I look for another area to fish. It happens, why I don't know It was the middle of the day so perhaps if I would of stayed late the bite might have picked up. It's crazy but still beats working.......
    When you say that you move to another area, does that mean to a different pond, or to a different area in that pond? We had holes drilled all over that goofy thing about 15 feet apart. We didn't drill holes where we knew the depth was only a couple of feet–could they have been there? How long do you usually fish a hole before you figure it's time to move–10 minutes, half-hour, longer?

Post Thanks / Like

P.M. sent

Post Thanks / Like

Co worker drilled 2 dozen holes on his pond a week or so back. No fish, not one. He knows they are in there, its his pond! Hand auger also. Not sure what he was fishing other than an ice jig- tear drop. Sometimes they just don't cooperate, for whatever reason.
    Most men spend their entire life fishing, without realizing its not the fish they are after!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ehall View Post
    Co worker drilled 2 dozen holes on his pond a week or so back. No fish, not one. He knows they are in there, its his pond! Hand auger also. Not sure what he was fishing other than an ice jig- tear drop. Sometimes they just don't cooperate, for whatever reason.
    I guess in a bizarre sort of way it feels good that it happens to someone else besides me. I know there are days when the fish don't bite, but I don't want it to be because I'm not using the right technique. One would think when you're dropping stuff in an aquarium the fish would react. Tomorrow I'm going to try again and will report back the results good or bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast