Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 84 ,60hp Merc problem

Post Thanks / Like

Default 84 ,60hp Merc problem

Have a bad piston and it's going to cost $2500 to rebuild the motor . Several mechanics have said this is a common problem with this motor due to 3 cylinders and 2 carbs . Can anyone confirm this info from experience . We are thinking of switching to a newer year motor , used of course , perhaps even switching to Evinrude .
    Any advice ? Newer motors are in the $2500 to $3500 neighborhood .
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I sure would not spend that much on a 84 model motor. I just bought a 55 HP 1995 Yamaha with T&T and SS prop for $1700. In the $3K range you could probably find a 4 stroke late model.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

Thats kind of what we are thinking . Never had a 4 stroke but heard they are expensive to maintain . Any thoughts ?

Post Thanks / Like

My friends that have the 4 stoke love them. I just couldn't find anything in my price range. It is hard to find a used 40 to 60 HP motor in 2 or 4 stroke. I have heard a lot of good things about the Suzuki 4vstrokes and they may be a little less money than the Yamaha, Honda or Merc. I saw one running at the ramp, 60 HP, and it was so quite the only reason I knew it was running was the water coming out the top hole.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

For that kind of money you should be able to find a good used motor just have patience while you are looking.

Post Thanks / Like

Those 3 cylinder mercs are bad about having cracked water jackets from overheating. They also are prone to detonation burning a piston due to lean mixtures caused by dirty carbs or from crank seal leaks or incorrect timing, or a malfunctioning ignition system. I would NEVER spend that kind of money on one. Definitely go with a different used motor. Rebuilding one requires someone that really knows what they're doing, too. There are no removable cylinder heads and the holes must be bored with a machine capable of boring blind holes. I would only trust one or 2 mechanics in the country (that I know) to do such a job.
    Get a newer used motor! OMC made a good 3 cylinder 60 and 70hp for many years, Yamaha made a nice 3-cylinder 2-stroke as well. I go for one of those two. Even a newer merc. Just not one of those that old. I own a couple of those 3 cylinder mercs and they aren't the greatest ever made and require someone particularly skilled to get them running right and staying running right.
    I would be leary of a used 4-stroke, only because they are far more expensive to work on and someone may be trying to unload a problem motor if they're selling the motor separately. They'll also be heavier than your old 2-stroke. Then again, if you do a lot of slow speed driving they're quieter and use less fuel.
    Good luck,
    JBJ

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for all the info .