Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Docks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Docks

Will crappie hang around docks that are over water like 40 feet deep such as marinas or would they all just mainly stay towards the shore under the docks? Just trying to decide if I should fish my way all around a marina that is huge or just concentrate on the shallower ends. any tips appreciated
    "The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!"

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly it depends on alot of conditions,weather, water temp, season, etc. but Yes they can hang around docks at that depth. My slip sits in 36 ft and ive caught them 2ft off the surface and 1 ft off the bottom, while docked.
    Last edited by Slab_Stalker; 10-31-2006 at 10:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe I would try shallower water... it tends to warm quicker with the temp changes... the crappie are probably going to be moving up and down in the water depth depending on the temps. The docks in shallower water may produce better results if the fish are moving in to the sun warmed water...

As Slab Stalker said they can be caught around the deeper docks also, but this time of the year with the temp changes I usually concentrait my efforts a little shallower than 40ft... My humble opinion... Happy Fish'n
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

What lake do you fish?....On Norman we are catching them around the piers, in 35 to 40 foot of water...Fishing at 5 to 10 foot, using crappiedays small micro black spoons tipped with a minnow....Every lake is a little different...So try different things until you find what works for you on your lake...Hope this gives you a little information that will help you...Good fishing to ya...

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Ooooooh Yeah !!! .....

Quote Originally Posted by Trey
    Will crappie hang around docks that are over water like 40 feet deep such as marinas or would they all just mainly stay towards the shore under the docks? Just trying to decide if I should fish my way all around a marina that is huge or just concentrate on the shallower ends. any tips appreciated
    Especially Black Crappie !!! Spring pre-spawn & Fall are great times to fish under docks .... standing or floating ones. Mid-Summer midday heat is another good time.
    They will seek out the shade that docks provide, as well as the baitfish & fry population that hang out there. Supports, pilons, posts, and even cables are good ambush points for them to hang near.

Which lake are we talking about ?? Most Ky lakes, that have docks, have floating docks. They're a little harder to fish, than stationary docks, but it can be done. But, also be aware ... not all Marina's allow you to fish within a 50ft boundry of them ... even though they allow paying slip renters to fish off the walkway or in their slip. Some will just ask/tell you to "cease & desist" (or leave), while others will just call a Conservation Officer. Best to ask the Marina operator, first ... and/or look for any posted notices/signs/buoys.

ANYTIME that I can fish a dock .... and shoot a jig back into the darkest region under that dock ... I'm subject to giving it a go !! A weedless jighead and tube/grub/Panfish Assassin, shot back into those dark water areas under a dock ... is one of my most productive methods, on Weiss Lake & Watts Bar Lake. Casting a jig "around" the dock, and into the slips (and under the walkways, if I can get it in there), has produced fish from Ky waters, too.

........ luck2ya ..... cp