Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jig fishing question

Post Thanks / Like

Default jig fishing question

Im more of a minnow fisherman but I want to get into the jig fishing. How do you guys know when you need to change color jig? I guess the main question is how do you know when there is no fish of if they just dont like what your throwing?

Post Thanks / Like

jangle
    While there are no set in stone rules, a good rule of thumb for jig selection is Dark day / dark jig bright day/bright jig.
    there are always exception to this, but it is a good place to begin. Also, if you are using say a black / chartreuse jig, and they seem to slow down in one spot, switch colors to say a blue/chart.

Hope that helps some
    -We don't need no stinkin' minners!--

www.picolures.com

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use proven dual color combinations like black and chartreuse or pink and chartreuse. If my finder shows fish are there and they do not bite then I will change depth, change color or add a crappie nibble. Welcome from Alabama.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Like ship said most places have somewhat proven colors. If you catch a few and they stop, move a little. If they stop when sun comes out, or clouds up. change color. Most fish turn on when weather changes, ambient light changes with it. I try to change from darker to lighter as it gets closer to mid-day then shift back in late afternoon. the fish will tell you when and what. Don`t be afraid to try new things, as one never relay knows.

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing you might try is putting two different color jigs on your line about 18" apart. If you are consistently catching them on one of the colors, switch it from top or bottom to see if they want a specific color, or a specific depth.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I use darker jigs for cloudy days and lighter jigs for bright days. Dingy water helps to use bright colors. Confidence is more important than certain colors most days in my opinion.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Likes Pico LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jangle View Post
    Im more of a minnow fisherman but I want to get into the jig fishing. How do you guys know when you need to change color jig? I guess the main question is how do you know when there is no fish of if they just dont like what your throwing?
    seat time......

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig Speed

Might also add that besides color, the speed of a jig can be the difference between pizza and fillet's for dinner.
    Have seen times when using the same color but switching head styles made the fish re-activate.
    Don't get discouraged! There is little in life more satisfying than learning to jig fish and wacking a mess of bigguns!
    -We don't need no stinkin' minners!--

www.picolures.com
    Likes "G", Yodibuzz LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Pick out about 4 colors that you like and have confidence in. Go fishing and don't dwell on what color you should be using
    Likes Eagle 1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I like the color I catch the most fish on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast