Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Setup help please

Post Thanks / Like

Default Setup help please

I have decided to replace my older eagle with a new humminbird 999hd ci combo. My boat is a stick steer boat, so I will be fishing from the same seat that I am driving. I think I need to set this up with two transducers one on the transom for driving-looking around and one on the trolling motor for fishing. What will I need to buy to make this happen. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

You will need a Transducer Switch (TS3) and a trolling motor mount HDSi transducer (XTM-9-HDSi-180-T). Some prefer the aftermarket trolling motor transducer mounts as they help protect the HDSi transducer from damage from logs, stumps and rocks.
    Greg Walters at Humminbird
    [email protected]
    I help because I can

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Greg

Post Thanks / Like

I just installed a 998 on my stick steer. Put transducer on the TM and kept my 788 on the stern as it does a good job of reading depth underway. When fishing I can use it to navigate to old waypoints, on 2d to see what is at back of boat or both on split screen. Then use 998 at full screen. Works okay except in sharp turns which will distort your sidescan. If your eagle is good at reading depths at speed, I would use this set-up and see how you like it before popping for an 80$ switch and 250$ 'ducer.
    I DO MY BEST PROOFREADING RIGHT AFTER I HIT THE "SUBMIT" BUTON
    Likes Humminbird_Greg, Jigging15 LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm just the opposite, got my 998 on transom and Eagle 480 through ducer on trolling motor. My 998 dosnt give any picture to speek of but good depth reading at speed. Also stick steer.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

There is also a transducer mount pole from Fishing Specialties you could mount that front transducer on that looks like it would work good to keep the picture from blurring out on turns. I think the mount sells for about 60 dollars. I just got a Xi5 gps steer motor and am thinking about going this route to keep it from twisting my cable off. I personally don't have any trouble using the 998 transducer on back and fishing from the front though. If I find a good spot I mark it and throw out a buoy. Or maybe now I'll be able to mark it and set my auto anchor to hold me in place if it actually works.
    Last edited by jimmyfreeland; 02-15-2014 at 08:14 AM.