Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: todays catch on the TN river and eagles nest

Post Thanks / Like

Default todays catch on the TN river and eagles nest

Here are 27 crappie and one nice gill I caught today. There is also a pic of an eagles nest. That thing is huge.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Nice haul!

What kind of structure were you fishing and how deep? Were you in the river itself or a slough?

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice catch...What was the water temp there? How deep were you fishing...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nice one's seek

Quote Originally Posted by crappieseeker
    Here are 27 crappie and one nice gill I caught today. There is also a pic of an eagles nest. That thing is huge.
    Where you fish at up by your place or down in al.
    Nice ones put em in the freezer for me. LOl
    Be blessed
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

Thats a big ole purty mess of slabs you got there.

Thanks for posting the pics.

Post Thanks / Like

Mighty I caught those in Alabama, but up river from where I took you that day. I was fishing behind clumps of weeds that built up on a small laydown along the side of the river. I think the water dropped off to about 8 feet there and the crappie were behind the weeds trying to get out of the current. The water temp was 57 degrees.

Post Thanks / Like

Does Alabama not have a 10 inch limit?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow pf .........

Quote Originally Posted by pulplip fiction
    Does Alabama not have a 10 inch limit?
    (copied from an article on Ala Crappie size limits)

There is a 9-inch minimum size limit on crappie in most Alabama public waters (10-inches in Weiss Lake). This size limit was instituted in October 1993 and has been very well received by anglers. In fact, many crappie anglers have asked why the size limit is not higher because, at about 10-inches crappie really start to put on weight. When the size limit was established, the age and growth rates of crappie were taken into consideration.

Anglers cannot see how old a fish is, but Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries Division biologists determine fish age on a regular basis. In almost all Alabama waters, crappie reach nine inches by the time they are three years old. However, in most waters 10-inch crappie are four years old. Because crappie are not very long lived fish, it was deemed appropriate to allow their legal harvest at age three. Any benefits of protecting them to age four would be offset by natural mortality. In the few public waters where crappie fail to reach nine inches at age three, no minimum length limit has been established. Therefore, the crappie size limit, as with any fish limit, is as much an age limit as a size limit.

.......... cp

Post Thanks / Like

pulplip, most of those fish are 10 inches or better anyway. There are only a couple that were between 9 and 10.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no problem with the catch at all - wouldn't matter much if I did - I just noticed some were a bit teeny and caused me to wonder about a size limit. And now I know Alabama's standards just don't quite measure up to Tennessee's in yet another area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast