Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie Rookie needs help!

Rekcah Guest

Default Crappie Rookie needs help!

I have just discovered crappie and purely by accident. Dad and I were fishing on Pigeon Lake in Ontario for walleye the other day and we started catching these things. I was using a yellow/orange husky jerk and Dad was using a J9 Rapala. These crappie were banging the hell out of our stuff and gave a great fight, we had a blast. Now for the questions - Did we get lucky catching them using what we were? Is there an easy way to clean them? And are they good eating? Any help from the pros here would be great!

Thanx
    Rek

FISH4DUG Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rekcah
    I have just discovered crappie and purely by accident. Dad and I were fishing on Pigeon Lake in Ontario for walleye the other day and we started catching these things. I was using a yellow/orange husky jerk and Dad was using a J9 Rapala. These crappie were banging the hell out of our stuff and gave a great fight, we had a blast. Now for the questions - Did we get lucky catching them using what we were? Is there an easy way to clean them? And are they good eating? Any help from the pros here would be great!

Thanx
    Rek
    yes to all your questions, best baits are minnow type, small jigs, live minnows, they are the best eating fresh water fish next to walleye. the meat is white flaky. fillet them just like you do walleye, however you do not have the y bones to remove. LOL.......fish4dug

Post Thanks / Like

Default next to walleye

You won't find a better fish to eat.
    Plain and simple.
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.