Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 1/32 jig mold?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1/32 jig mold?

i have a 1/32 do it jig head mold and im wanting to use a #2 hook with it but the grove for the hook shank is to narrow. is there a modifcation that can be done to make this work or a different mold i can buy?

Post Thanks / Like

I have both 1/32nd molds with and without collars and have put #2 sickles in them with no problem. If it's not seating right and this is more true with sickle hooks especially the red ones some of them have a longer length from eyelet to bend that ends up inside the head of the jig. Ones that are too long save and try in another mold.

If you're trying to use heavy wire hooks you'll have to put the hook in close the mold and squeeze it hard or hit with a rubber mallet to set a new groove.

Post Thanks / Like

Mickey,

I pour a ton of 1/32 with a #4 red sickle and in my opinion the hook almost looks to large for the head. What I am trying to say is, you are going to have a really small head on a really big hook by comparison. Just thought I would throw that out there.

Bobo
    Likes jackie53 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

i think the #2 hook looks to big also,i made some last year with #4 hooks and seem to me like i missed more fish...might just be me idk...i like a #2 hook for crappie......as for the length from eye to the bend i have noticed this also and i used a dremmel and made the cast for the eye alittle bigger im having trouble with shank part of the mold..i used a triangle file and filed it out today poured a few and seemed to work better..

litewirehooker is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

One good thing about Do-it molds is they are made of kinda soft material and easily modified. I pour 95 % of 1/32 and 1/24 with #2 litewirehook......course the shank is much smaller than sickle/gold/bronze hook........but I have modified several.
    http://litewirehooks.com/
    [email protected]
    Every day you do not fish will be one day less you have to fish

Post Thanks / Like

If the eye part of the hook fits good and the wire is to thick ...... this is gonna sound crazy but works if done right
    Line the hook up where it needs to be and slam the mold shut as hard as you can but be careful not to shake the mold while your doing this because if the hook jumps track it WILL scar your mold I pour a lot of lead and have used many different of the do it 1/32 oz molds and have used this trick many times so I know it works ..... just be careful
    Remember in the battle of steel hook vs. Aluminum mold steel hook wins every time
    The 1/32 #2 is a very popular size around here I sell 1000s upon 1000s of them every year ..... I reckon its a southern thing