Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got the drips

Post Thanks / Like

Default Got the drips

Well I upped the temp on the oven from 250 to 300 and baked a load of 20 heads last night. Same amount of time, 15 minutes. Too hot or too long or both. They all look like Pinocchio now.

Post Thanks / Like

Couple things - you may have had the head too hot when you dipped it or left it in too long. I use a heat gun and for a 1/16th it takes a 3-4 count on each side before I dip it. I'll be the first to admit it I don't get them all right - I still get drip heads. One powder when it runs out that I won't buy again is the Dormant powder kit from Columbia Coatings. Didn't realize it was dip the color and all 5 colors even though the powder is the color come out looking silver - you cure for 10 mins then dip in the clear that comes with it then finish curing for the rest of the time.

Another color that's a problem child for me is Jann's white powder - I've thinned it out with clear and used a fluid bed and brush tapped and they still look bad. I went to white pearl instead.

Big one - Get yourself an IN OVEN thermometer they only cost $3-$4. There was a thread on Tackle Underground about this and in a bunch of different brand toaster ovens the temps were off anywhere from 10-40 degrees. I put one in my oven and it was off by 5 degrees.
    Likes Bobo Greybeard, crappiepappa LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Fatman. Yeah I think the oven is off. I really need to quit using the kitchen oven and get me a little toaster oven. As many I do that would be perfect.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Like Fatman said get a thermometer. Kitchen oven is cold by 25 degrees until 400 and then it's over 25. One toaster oven is off by 55 degrees hot and one is 35 hot. Janns White and ProTec Black are my problem children.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Mine were fine Til I changed it but now I know I need more tools!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey folks, Has any one been able to tame pro-tec black. Its a real pain for me and I use all the sugesstions listed above. Think it couls be too much paint.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine is better, fluid bed, 1 Tablespoon of black with 1 table spoon of Rosies clear. Heat head for a count of 8 over heat gun on low, quick dip. 325 for 20 min. This has worked best for me. Biggest problem is black is so heavy it is hard to get it to boil in fluid bed or fluff in jar. Then you end up with to much paint.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks cray, I'll try that.

Post Thanks / Like

Had the same issue. I cut my pro tec black 25/75 with clear but bake at a lower temp ( my oven) for 15 min. Also heat 1/8 for a quick 8 seconds, 1/16 for a quick 6. Rotating the whole time. Quick dip stroll and shake in the paint and rake it for the oven. Works for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I mix my black 4/1 still have to stir to get good even boil, then the powder settles after a few and have to re-stir. I use heat gun then cure in toaster oven. I preheat if before putting jigs in. I use a in oven therm. and have had to ajust temp setting often. May be my oven is old ( goodwill 2$ ) or ambient temp change. But after I thinned the black out and got in oven them. haven`t had any problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast