Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Brush and Compressor

Post Thanks / Like

Default Air Brush and Compressor

Today was the first time I have tried to use my new compressor and air brush. The compressor came from Harbor Freight and is putting out about 30 psi according to the guage. Not sure who made one of the air brushes I have but it would spray water fairly good. Started mixing acrlic paint with water (says you can thin with this) got it way thin and it still would not spray the paint. I switched to the cheap air brush from HF and with this thined paint I could get a coat of paint. My question is what should I try to do to get the first airbrush to work and does anyone know how to adjust output on HF compressor?
    FISH ON

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Buster don't know a thing about your brushes but the compressor should have a regulator on it. It should be where your line attaches to compressor. It should have a adjustment knob or screw. Did it not come with some kind off instructions?
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    Buster don't know a thing about your brushes but the compressor should have a regulator on it. It should be where your line attaches to compressor. It should have a adjustment knob or screw. Did it not come with some kind off instructions?
    x2 or you could add your own regulator to the line.
    Usually for me, if it won't spray paint, either the paint needs to be thinned more, the brush is clogged, or the brush is assembled wrong.
    I am sure someone that really knows more about air brushes will be along with more/better advice.
    I have one of the HF airbrushes also and it works well, for what I paid for it.

I have an iwata that is much better, but for fishing stuff I think the HF would do you right.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Not all of the smaller compressors have a adjustment for air and the reason I have not bought one yet. Most of the time I'm running 40-psi and don't thin the paints. I use one of the small pancake compressors. I can get a fine mist with the adjustments on the airbrush. I also have a couple of the cheap brushes from HF and they work find for the price and I use them for spraying the base coats then use a better gun for details and adding other colors.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Air brush paint does not like water!! Harbor freight has a water seperator(filter)!! Their is a learning curve on air brushes!! Tackleunderground has a forum just for air brush painting very helpful starting out!! We have gone to the blick copic markers!! no mess no smell!!! Blick markers.com!!
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

30-35 psi is about the right pressure for most airbrushes. I use lower pressure for close detail work, maybe a little more for broad coverage.

Airbrushes and acrylics that you thin down are going to be a tricky combo - acrylics tend to be a very "heavy" pigment. By the time you thin them enough to actually spray there isn't enough pigment to cover very well.

Airbrush components also come in various needle/cone combinations and larger sets will handle thicker paints better. That could be why your first airbrush won't spray your paint. The really cheap airbrushes tend to be of the type that blow air across the top of an external nozzle rather than through an internal needle/cone. These are not very adjustable and tend to produce a coarse spray pattern. Might be all you need though, and are relatively easy to clean and maintain.

There are airbrush-ready paints available, such as Createx and if you want to try them I think you will find they work much better for you. Water based paints are generally more fussy than lacquers, but are less hazardous to use. Heavy colors, such as black or white, even when thinned tend to clog the nozzle quickly and require the operator to clean the brush frequently.

fishhunter775 is offline Crappie Wall Hanger * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

As already stated you may need to regulate the air a little or go to a bigger needle in the Brush. If it is a double action you will be able to work with a bigger needle better.

Post Thanks / Like

Well i found my compressor manual and all this compressor will put out is 30 PSI. I never did get the unknown air brush to paint. I did get the HF air brush to work. I was painting a item for a gift item my wife is making for her Daughter-N-Law. I believe what I am going to do to get the pressure I want is to make a small manifold with its on regulator that will plug into the larger compressor in the carport. Then I can reduce the pressure twice. Once feeding into the manifold then again just before the airbrush. By placing a larger section of pipe in the manifol it should act as a tiny air tank. Secondly I will start shopping for a better air brush. I have given thought to using the HF compressor to stir the paint in a fluid bed. Do you think that it would work for that?
    FISH ON

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BoarBuster View Post
    Well i found my compressor manual and all this compressor will put out is 30 PSI. I never did get the unknown air brush to paint. I did get the HF air brush to work. I was painting a item for a gift item my wife is making for her Daughter-N-Law. I believe what I am going to do to get the pressure I want is to make a small manifold with its on regulator that will plug into the larger compressor in the carport. Then I can reduce the pressure twice. Once feeding into the manifold then again just before the airbrush. By placing a larger section of pipe in the manifol it should act as a tiny air tank. Secondly I will start shopping for a better air brush. I have given thought to using the HF compressor to stir the paint in a fluid bed. Do you think that it would work for that?
    I use my big compressor while painting in my shop, works great.
    The fluid beds doesn't take much air so you will need to reduce the air but it will work.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You could use the pipe for what I call a surge tank but wouldn't think it necessary for a air brush. I would try it first. On your fluid bed for the price of a regulator just buy a aquarium pump with dual outlets, more than enough air.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast