Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More than one brand of sickle hooks?

Post Thanks / Like

Default More than one brand of sickle hooks?

Been using some Matzuo Sickle #4's I got from Barlow's. Ordered another hundred from Grandpa Bob's. Grandpa Bob's just refers to them as sickle hooks. The Matzuo Sickles from Barlow's points have a curve to them that those from Bob's do not. Also the vertical leg on the Bob's hooks are very slightly longer. This is obvious to the eye. Bob's are also half the cost of those from Barlow's or from Do-it. Maybe these sickle's from Bob's are knock-off's. Thinking about ordering some from Do-it as they call there hooks Matzuo Sickle Hooks and compare those to Barlow's and Grandpa Bob's sickle hooks. I must have too much time on my hands!!!!

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for info got a bad batch of red sickles from a supplier!! After a few fishing the red comes off shows a gold hook!! We have had trouble with breakage!! Went back to eagle claw!!! The sickles are sharp.We use braid a lot fish 20' ft on our home lake and the red sickles may not standup to the pressure of Braid!!
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

fishhunter775 is offline Crappie Wall Hanger * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

At this time Matzuo is the only company that makes the sickle hook. If it is a sickle then it is Matzuo

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The red is just dipped on the gold hooks but I still like them. Never had one of the sickle hooks to break but have had some that the eye isn't closed all the way.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by STUMP HUNTER View Post
    The red is just dipped on the gold hooks but I still like them. Never had one of the sickle hooks to break but have had some that the eye isn't closed all the way.

Of the thousands of heads that I have poured. I have never had a complaint on one breaking. I have though seen some that the eyes were not closed. These I just throw in a little pile and use them to poke things with when I need to. LOL

Bobo

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I had one bad batch of Reds. They had to be bent to fit mold and some broke while doing that. Had a few brake trying to land a fish right at the lead where hook shaft entered head. Went to the black chrome and like them a lot better. They fit mold better and seem to be stronger and if it's possible they seem sharper. Have bought them from several places but not Bob's, never found any difference.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I just checked Barlow's price for these in a #4 red sickle. It is over 20 dollars more a thousand than I pay now.

Bobo

Post Thanks / Like

when I was using them I had some customers tell me they broke

as far as the eyes not being close ...... I find bad hooks in 1000 count boxes all the time just 1 or 2 thats just part of it I guess

If one of your customers comes to you and tells you one of the hooks broke just ask him if the lead staked on the hook if he says ya just tell him .... well I guess I done a good job I poured the lead on I didn't make the hook

joking aside it bothered me when they told me they broke because I am very proud of the work I put out and it makes me look bad even if I don't make the hooks

I also had a customer tell me his 100 count bags were 3 jigs short a few times ..... funny thing is it was always the same guy
    we use counting blocks (a board with 100 holes drilled in it) so I didn't know what to tell him..... I guess the board miss counted only on his hooks
    Last edited by FISHER HAWK 186; 02-06-2014 at 07:17 PM.
    Likes Bobo Greybeard LIKED above post

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FISHER HAWK 186 View Post
    when I was using them I had some customers tell me they broke

as far as the eyes not being close ...... I find bad hooks in 1000 count boxes all the time just 1 or 2 thats just part of it I guess

If one of your customers comes to you and tells you one of the hooks broke just ask him if the lead staked on the hook if he says ya just tell him .... well I guess I done a good job I poured the lead on I didn't make the hook

joking aside it bothered me when they told me they broke because I am very proud of the work I put out and it makes me look bad even if I don't make the hooks

I also had a customer tell me his 100 count bags were 3 jigs short a few times ..... funny thing is it was always the same guy
    we use counting blocks (a board with 100 holes drilled in it) so I didn't know what to tell him..... I guess the board miss counted only on his hooks
    I agree, don't want anyone to have problems with my jigs. On the guy being short, maybe he just can't count or is short a toe or two
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

We have the Gold,red and black nickle Matzou Hooks (great hook)(sharp)(really like the hooks) only have trouble with the red sickle!! Starting on a new batch of hooks!! will see how they work out!! Use mainly# 4 and 2's!!Started buying our hooks from crazyangler have had no problems!!
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast