Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Please help with my dilemma

Post Thanks / Like

Default Please help with my dilemma

OK I have this new style jig that has a solid body and a good feel to it, but it takes a long time to do one and I don't yet have a way to do more at one time. I have to turn it to coat it and sometimes keep turning it for a short time. Re coat wait is about a hour and needs several coats to get it right.

I showed a pic of one the other day and here is one I made yesterday. I don't know how to make them and be able to sell them for a reasonable price. I just feel this is one find long lasting jig, not tried yet, but sill soon. Actually I don't need to try it to know it's going to work well, but I will anyway. Almost forgot, I intend on making these that the body glows also.

Any opinions?

Here is a pic of the FL. Yellow one...

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

have you tried powder coating the heads first, dry in 2 seconds and most colors are 1 coat

Post Thanks / Like

Skip -- if the issue is having to turn the jig after coating it so it sets up evenly, look on some of the fly fisighin sights that sell tying equipment. (Sorry I don't have the links in this computer) and they sell "fly turners" with little electric motors. After lacquering a fly sometimes it needs to be continually turned so that it dries correctly. You mount the flies on the styrophomr wheel that is turned continuously by the motor. I don't think they're very expensive.

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Crappieday, the head is not my problem it's how long I have to mess with them and the ability do make them faster. It just may take longer.

jhook I know of the turners you are talking about, but my problem is that wile applying the stuff I have to turn it to get it on and then just for a short time after. I guess I just have to take longer and wait until it's stable before I move on to another one.

BTW, I just made my first one that has a glow head and glow body and it's way cool! Wish I could get a pic of it glowing. I think it's going to be a crappie killer!

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

LOL - ok Skip, I see what the issue is. I tie a lot of flies -- for trout, crappie and bream -- and once in while I'll come across a pattern that is so complex or it takes so much time it simply becomes a bridge too far. It's not something I'm going to tie routinely.

Not sure what the answer is, but I've been watching your jigs for a while and you sure make pretty ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet jig skip. That tail looks like a killer. It would rule with that green head.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Loctite super glue. Just as durable, glossy, and dries in seconds.

Post Thanks / Like

Can you dip the heads and stick the hook into a piece of foam and let the excess run to the eye of the hook. That is the way I do mine. I have a small tab to trim when they get dry.

Minnerman

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jigdragger
    Loctite super glue. Just as durable, glossy, and dries in seconds.
    I think super glue would be way too thin and when this stuff dries it feel real to the fish. It soft yet very durable. I am just going to have to let each one dry enough to move it to hang.

Minnerman It is not runny enough for that and it would make a huge mess because it would probably just make a big bulge. It sets fast enough, just make me slow down more than I like.

I like the stuff enough I will just put a price on them and they will still come out good with how well they will last. Maybe sell some up North to some Wallie fishermen since it will handle the toothy critters up there, at least so I am told.

Thanks anyway guys.

Peak Vise Dealer