PDA

View Full Version : Terrova or Maxumm?

deltadawg9
02-04-2014, 05:22 PM
Basically comes down to steel cable or electric steer for me. I've always had cable so I'm a little skeptic on this new stuff.

Which do you prefer?

genec
02-04-2014, 06:24 PM
It depends on your style of fishing,those with terrova will swear by it,great for trolling,but as for me i have a maxumn cable and would not trade them,just so much easier for me to set over a brush pile without moving 20 feet in a circle or more.would be a good idea to go with someone with a terrova and see if it fits your style of fishing

RCC
02-04-2014, 06:26 PM
If you troll lots. Terrova. If you jig structure mostly Maxxum. I currently use a Terrova and it works great for what I do, but can be a pain when fishing lots of trees or stumps.

creekslick
02-04-2014, 06:32 PM
If you troll lots. Terrova. If you jig structure mostly Maxxum. I currently use a Terrova and it works great for what I do, but can be a pain when fishing lots of trees or stumps.
I troll also and love my Terrova but if I single pole fished I would get the Maxxum.

clfarms1
02-04-2014, 06:59 PM
a terrova will do the same job as a maxxum but a maxxum wont do the same job as a terrova. I use the pedal on my terrova all the time, i can feather it to stay on a brush pile or tree it just dosent work as quick as a cable. Most guys use the remote which i do also but if jig i almost always use the pedal as it is easier for me. If i have to retie or bait up i can just hit the anchor button and at least stay close to where i want to be and not drift away 30 yards in the wind. I miss my maxxum but wouldnt trade back for it.

Cray
02-04-2014, 09:23 PM
Terrova.

Rees Guide
02-04-2014, 09:36 PM
Terrova, electric steer is not new, I had one of the first power drives 25 years ago.

crappielimits
02-04-2014, 10:52 PM
The terrova it reacts just as fast as the maxxum. The older models were slow to react and I kept a spare cable drive when tournament fishing. This was in case I decided to shoot docks. There is no reason you can not shoot docks and vertical jig structure better with a terrova than maxxum. You can use the spot lock feature as an electric anchor. The cruise and autopilot can be used together to pace against the current/ wind to also hold the boat straight when shooting docks or structure. We fished a pretty significant tail race on Friday for hybrids and used both these features to stay over channel ledges where the fish were holding tight. You just have to take the time to learn how to use it, be patient.

clfarms1
02-04-2014, 11:28 PM
[QUOTE=crappielimits;2569493]The terrova it reacts just as fast as the maxxum.

crappielimits I hate to disagree but unless your cables are rusted an need oiled there is no way a terrova will turn a 360 circle as fast as a cable steer. I can turn one around in the time it takes a terrova to go a quarter turn.. but wouldnt trade it back for a cable steer just my :twocents

crappielimits
02-05-2014, 12:52 AM
Try fully charged batteries. I don't do 360s, but the terrova does react plenty fast enough. If you do not past the dock, why would you have to turn around. Put it on auto pilot and slow cruise control to move into wind at a rate you can fish the dock. You can slow it to where it barely moves. If dock has fish back off and lock the anchor feature. A little movement is all you need, it's a more precise instrument. Just timed my motor at 2 seconds for 180*. Never do a 360* with an electric trolling motor and bumping up the speed moves the boat faster if need be. Who wants their foot arched and stuck in one place all day. Minn Kota Terrova/Ipilot is the best trolling motor ever made.

bluedrifter
02-05-2014, 03:01 AM
I love my terrovas record a track feature. I have heard a lot of guys mention that there terrova drifts off of spot lock 30yards or more. there must be something wrong with there trolling motor or they need more thrust for the size boat they have. it could be that the gps signal is low. mine stays with in 5ft, MAYBE a little more, of the spot that is locked.

"G"
02-05-2014, 07:53 AM
Terrova.....once you get used to it you will love it.

Lundy
02-05-2014, 08:07 AM
Terrova for me for sure.

I can use both the foot pedal and the remote

Spot lock, track back, cruise control, auto pilot are all valuable features that I use almost every fishing trip.

wharfrat
02-05-2014, 09:10 AM
i fish around a lot of docks, Cable steering for me!

Iwannafish
02-05-2014, 02:13 PM
Terrova.... agree with bluedrifter. While spot lock is not a PowerPole or anchoring system, mine holds me within 5 or 6 feet of my target pretty well. Just have to get used to it.

clfarms1
02-05-2014, 02:37 PM
Terrova.... agree with bluedrifter. While spot lock is not a PowerPole or anchoring system, mine holds me within 5 or 6 feet of my target pretty well. Just have to get used to it.

I would like to know how you get them to stay that close. Ive got all the latest updates and mine really doesn't start to kick in until its off about 15 feet. You can be off about 30 feet from your anchor point from one side of it to the other.

Iwannafish
02-05-2014, 04:17 PM
I would like to know how you get them to stay that close. Ive got all the latest updates and mine really doesn't start to kick in until its off about 15 feet. You can be off about 30 feet from your anchor point from one side of it to the other. Well, let me redirect.... Mine will stay that close when there is no wind. The higher the wind, the harder it is for the motor to hold you. Also depends on the weight/momentum of the moving boat. Heavier boat will have more momentum when it is in motion, and will be harder to stop and then harder to push back onto target. Heavy boat can then overshoot spot lock location due to momentum again. I suspect the answer is to have the correct thrust to boat size. Just as problematic to have to much thrust (overshoot issue) as not enough! I have a polarKraft 176 and am running the Terrova that MinnKota recommends for the length/weight of my boat. many people are over powered when they buy their TMs. and I suspect this is part of their problem. I don't know. Mine works well.

deltadawg9
02-05-2014, 04:25 PM
Only problem is my 1860 war eagle is set up on a 12 volt system. If I swap to a 80lb thrust terrova I need a 24 volt system. I don't have the room for 3 batteries. I mean I guess I can make some modifications. I just bought a HB 859 hd di and would like to set this all up together.

genec
02-05-2014, 05:01 PM
I am not knocking the terrova,but I fish with friend with one and he could not stay on brush without moving a lot,too much for jigging. we went home,he put tm down while trailer was on boat and turn spot lock on,i put a rock where the tm was ,then he move the trailer until it came on,i put another rock under tm then he slowly back up and when the tm stop I put another rock,all in all it was over 30 feet. we even sit still and it one time came on.they can be no more accurate than GPS and gps will move some if your boat is on bank,all of these gps move some,however for most situation you can't beat them ,but one rod fishing give me cable,but again that's my way of fishing and using a marker

crappielimits
02-05-2014, 05:02 PM
Only problem is my 1860 war eagle is set up on a 12 volt system. If I swap to a 80lb thrust terrova I need a 24 volt system. I don't have the room for 3 batteries. I mean I guess I can make some modifications. I just bought a HB 859 hd di and would like to set this all up together.

A 12 volt I pilot system draws a lot of power and will not work with most factory wiring. You will have to shorten your wire length or use heavier wire. I highly recommend a 24 volt system for an 18 foot boat. It runs cooler and able to give more power. Remember, these motors use amperage to steer, turn prop, and run the GPS.

clfarms1
02-05-2014, 05:19 PM
Well, let me redirect.... Mine will stay that close when there is no wind. The higher the wind, the harder it is for the motor to hold you. Also depends on the weight/momentum of the moving boat. Heavier boat will have more momentum when it is in motion, and will be harder to stop and then harder to push back onto target. Heavy boat can then overshoot spot lock location due to momentum again. I suspect the answer is to have the correct thrust to boat size. Just as problematic to have to much thrust (overshoot issue) as not enough! I have a polarKraft 176 and am running the Terrova that MinnKota recommends for the length/weight of my boat. many people are over powered when they buy their TMs. and I suspect this is part of their problem. I don't know. Mine works well.

We are in agreement on everything you just said.I know doing the updates helped with the motor ramping up not as quick which helped alot, but i have a 80lb on my 18 ft alumminummm and that is part of the problem to much thrust, but then again it will run 3 mph all day and not run down.

Special K
02-05-2014, 10:06 PM
Great thread with some great subject matter and discussion. I will be buying a boat in the mid to late summer and the 24 volt 80 to 90 lb. Terrova w I-pilot will likely be what I go with.

bluedrifter
02-06-2014, 12:55 AM
A 12 volt I pilot system draws a lot of power and will not work with most factory wiring. You will have to shorten your wire length or use heavier wire. I highly recommend a 24 volt system for an 18 foot boat. It runs cooler and able to give more power. Remember, these motors use amperage to steer, turn prop, and run the GPS.
I believe that this could be some peoples problem. I have a terrova 80lb thrust 24 volt trolling motor and have my two batteries for the trolling motor at the bow of the boat. I might have 4ft of wiring from motor to batteries and that is all those are used for. it is also easy to wire a 24volt system.

Iwannafish
02-06-2014, 10:32 AM
We are in agreement on everything you just said.I know doing the updates helped with the motor ramping up not as quick which helped alot, but i have a 80lb on my 18 ft alumminummm and that is part of the problem to much thrust, but then again it will run 3 mph all day and not run down.

I have a 12 volt, 55lb thrust Terrova, wired on two deep cycle batteries (in parallel) for added battery life. I do not get the trolling speed you get. I top out around 2.5, but I can maintain 1.5 to 2.0 long enough to wear me out. I have pulled cranks 8 hours with this setup, and batteries still at 50% according to Terrova.

BTW, the 55lb is what the MinnKota website suggested for this length/weight boat.

Iwannafish
02-06-2014, 10:35 AM
I believe that this could be some peoples problem. I have a terrova 80lb thrust 24 volt trolling motor and have my two batteries for the trolling motor at the bow of the boat. I might have 4ft of wiring from motor to batteries and that is all those are used for. it is also easy to wire a 24volt system.

I moved my batteries to the front of the boat as well. I have about a 5 foot run from batteries to TM. This has the added benefit of making my boat sit better (more level) in the water when I pull cranks from the back deck!!!

clfarms1
02-06-2014, 10:50 AM
I have a 12 volt, 55lb thrust Terrova, wired on two deep cycle batteries (in parallel) for added battery life. I do not get the trolling speed you get. I top out around 2.5, but I can maintain 1.5 to 2.0 long enough to wear me out. I have pulled cranks 8 hours with this setup, and batteries still at 50% according to Terrova.

BTW, the 55lb is what the MinnKota website suggested for this length/weight boat.

I know I am over powered but I never have to run it above 2 or 3 most of the time unless really windy, plus when I bought it I thought this could last me for years and if I ever get a bigger boat it will work on it instead of having to buy a new one.