Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Terrova or Maxumm?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Terrova or Maxumm?

Basically comes down to steel cable or electric steer for me. I've always had cable so I'm a little skeptic on this new stuff.

Which do you prefer?

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on your style of fishing,those with terrova will swear by it,great for trolling,but as for me i have a maxumn cable and would not trade them,just so much easier for me to set over a brush pile without moving 20 feet in a circle or more.would be a good idea to go with someone with a terrova and see if it fits your style of fishing
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

RCC is offline Crappie.com Legend and Arkansas Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

If you troll lots. Terrova. If you jig structure mostly Maxxum. I currently use a Terrova and it works great for what I do, but can be a pain when fishing lots of trees or stumps.
    RCC's Crappie Eradication Service
    Eliminating your slab problems one fish at a time
    For free estimates give us a call at O U 812.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RCC View Post
    If you troll lots. Terrova. If you jig structure mostly Maxxum. I currently use a Terrova and it works great for what I do, but can be a pain when fishing lots of trees or stumps.
    I troll also and love my Terrova but if I single pole fished I would get the Maxxum.

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

a terrova will do the same job as a maxxum but a maxxum wont do the same job as a terrova. I use the pedal on my terrova all the time, i can feather it to stay on a brush pile or tree it just dosent work as quick as a cable. Most guys use the remote which i do also but if jig i almost always use the pedal as it is easier for me. If i have to retie or bait up i can just hit the anchor button and at least stay close to where i want to be and not drift away 30 yards in the wind. I miss my maxxum but wouldnt trade back for it.
    Likes satdoc1 LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Terrova.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes satdoc1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Terrova, electric steer is not new, I had one of the first power drives 25 years ago.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Post Thanks / Like

The terrova it reacts just as fast as the maxxum. The older models were slow to react and I kept a spare cable drive when tournament fishing. This was in case I decided to shoot docks. There is no reason you can not shoot docks and vertical jig structure better with a terrova than maxxum. You can use the spot lock feature as an electric anchor. The cruise and autopilot can be used together to pace against the current/ wind to also hold the boat straight when shooting docks or structure. We fished a pretty significant tail race on Friday for hybrids and used both these features to stay over channel ledges where the fish were holding tight. You just have to take the time to learn how to use it, be patient.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=crappielimits;2569493]The terrova it reacts just as fast as the maxxum.

crappielimits I hate to disagree but unless your cables are rusted an need oiled there is no way a terrova will turn a 360 circle as fast as a cable steer. I can turn one around in the time it takes a terrova to go a quarter turn.. but wouldnt trade it back for a cable steer just my
    Likes Wiskers LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Try fully charged batteries. I don't do 360s, but the terrova does react plenty fast enough. If you do not past the dock, why would you have to turn around. Put it on auto pilot and slow cruise control to move into wind at a rate you can fish the dock. You can slow it to where it barely moves. If dock has fish back off and lock the anchor feature. A little movement is all you need, it's a more precise instrument. Just timed my motor at 2 seconds for 180*. Never do a 360* with an electric trolling motor and bumping up the speed moves the boat faster if need be. Who wants their foot arched and stuck in one place all day. Minn Kota Terrova/Ipilot is the best trolling motor ever made.
    Likes bluedrifter, satdoc1 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast