Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Northern Pike

Post Thanks / Like

Default Northern Pike

Sunday evening a northern pike was caught out of Laurel Lake around Spruce Creek and a man told me he caught a small one over at Holly Bay last year. I was also told that they got stock there a few years ago. I am trying to do some research on the matter. If anyone has caught or heard of anyone talking about it let me know. I will see if I can get the picture of the fishing caught Sunday. By the way a 12 year old kid caught it on a dead bluegill head cat fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

to survive that far south, that lake must have one heck of a cold spring pouring into it. water above about 80 will kill a northern really quick.
    "We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect"
    -Aldo Leopold

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question allstar... (& fryguy)

Quote Originally Posted by allstar_strong_15
    Sunday evening a northern pike was caught out of Laurel Lake around Spruce Creek and a man told me he caught a small one over at Holly Bay last year. I was also told that they got stock there a few years ago. I am trying to do some research on the matter. If anyone has caught or heard of anyone talking about it let me know. I will see if I can get the picture of the fishing caught Sunday. By the way a 12 year old kid caught it on a dead bluegill head cat fishing.
    I was not aware of any "Northern Pike" being "stocked" in KY waters. We do have "Chain Pickerel" ... and Silver Muskie .... and Tiger Muskie (crossbreed btwn a Silver Muskie & Northern Pike). But, it wouldn't surprise me none if they are in Laurel Lake ... anymore than it would surprise me if someone had mis-identified the fish.

Fryguy ..... If there's a lake in KY, that could hold them ... Laurel would be it. It's deep, clear, and supports a population of Rainbow Trout. It's part of the upper Cumberland River, and receives drainage from the E KY mountains. I don't know if it supports a weed growth to any degree, or has enough shallow flats with grass, to keep a Northern Pike population viable.

Allstar ... keep us informed about what you find out. Links to newspaper articles, on-line articles, or pictures would be a great help. ... cp