Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New crappie jig?

slabtroller Guest

Default New crappie jig?

Google up something called a jumping cholla jig and you will find recent fishing reports out here in Arizona about them being the new rage.
    I guess they just went retail and will have a web site up soon but the only guy I know with any swears by them for trolling.
    Anyone east of us useing them yet, and if so what do you think?
    I guess the new hook design makes it impossible to lose fish or miss bites. The guy I know says there is no reason to even set the hook.

Just curious.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slabtroller
    Google up something called a jumping cholla jig and you will find recent fishing reports out here in Arizona about them being the new rage.
    I guess they just went retail and will have a web site up soon but the only guy I know with any swears by them for trolling.
    Anyone east of us useing them yet, and if so what do you think?
    I guess the new hook design makes it impossible to lose fish or miss bites. The guy I know says there is no reason to even set the hook.

Just curious.
    You gotta leave the g off of jumping when searching. I was hoping to see some pics, but couldn't find any.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

slabtroller Guest

Default Well, we tried them today

They are not much different than any other jig except that we didn't lose any fish. Every single strike was caught. They sure look like they would snag up on everything in the lake but we bounced the bottom several times during turns we never lost a single jig.

Ended up with 25 slabs from 12 to 15 inches. Biggest went 2.6 pounds.

I'm thinking of ordering some of their grubs to fit the jigs. Anyone tried them yet?

Oh yeah, if you buy some be carefull with handling them. Matt got a peirceing by one today. Nasty little things!.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Slabtroller:

Sounds like a great trip! What lake are you fishing? I have family in the Scottsdale area.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

slabtroller Guest

We fished roosevelt today but mostly fish bartlett.

I'm hearing rumors about the guy who makes the jigs. What I've heard is he is an easterner that came west for work. The rumor is this jig was used in central indiana until G&F changed the regs to eliminate its use. I think its been changed back now.

All I know for sure is that it worked for us today. I sure wish I didnt have to work in the morning. I would go back out for sure.

slabtroller Guest

Default Got a picture up of the catch

Here's the my portion of the catch.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...12-18catch.jpg

These fish are a bit on the small side for this time of the year. I think the weather systems we have had have slowed things down but we have noticed the larger fish are starting to move in.

Cheers!

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

So why didn't you put a picture of the NEW jig in the picture?

slabtroller Guest

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a Treble hook to me. LOL

It's an idea that we bass fishermen have been using ever since I can remember. It should work ok for panfish also. Heck just start throwing some mepps spinners out there. That should help you catch the larger fish.

This summer I found that the small spinners caught the largest crappie. Casting and using the small safety pin type spinner baits with the soft grubs attached to the jig part of the setup worked good.

But you might want to have a bait retriever handy as that thing will get hung up three times more often than a single hook. You have three times the chances of getting a hook caught on something. Yes it will hook more fish when they bite but that also will apply to any wood that is down there in the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by slabtroller
    Regards,

Moose1am

slabtroller Guest

First thought was treble hook to but once you try to get the darn thing out of a fish's mouth you find they are not the same. These things won't turn loose of a fish. The hooks are not connected so when you get one loose one of the others get hooked up.

We've trolled spinners and cranks and still lose fish. Didnt lose any with these things. It can be a pain in the tail end to get a fish off of it. I think we ended up with 8 or 9 more fish because of them so I'll stick to what puts more on the table.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast