Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Mold question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mold question

This may sound stupid but I have to ask. Is there a way to make a collared mold a no collar mold temporally. I have a new football head mold that is collared with a barb. I am wanting to know if there is a way I can make some non collared heads out of this mold. I am not one to want to permanently modify a mold if you know what I mean. I was thinking maybe I could put silicon in the collared part of the mold but I do not know if it will stand the heat. Has anyone tried this before.

Thanks,

Bobo

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

We have taken modeling clay (wal-mart) works pretty good just poured 20-25 heads may not hold up for 100!! But lately just cut the barb off with cutters while hot(just out of the mold)!!!
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Temp Silicone gasket material (available at most auto parts stores) works very well and is easily removed. http://www.delcity.net/store/Red-Sil...FacDOgodVT8AOQ

Do Not use Hi temperature epoxey unless you want the modification to be permanent. JB Weld Hi temp is great and almost impossible to remove, It can be removed with considerable effort and painstaking detail work with a dremel.

Step 1. Clean mold I prefer Comet cleanser and plenty of hot water and a toothbrush.
    Step 2. Once dry, if water was hot should be almost instantly. Carefully and neatly fill the desired area with silicone - do this on both halves of the mold. A single edged razor blade really helps if you have excess on mold faces.
    Step 3. Dust surface of mold and siliconed area with talcum powder
    Step 4. Install hook(s) close mold I like to clamp with a quick grip clamp and let cure per package directions
    Step 5. open mold, remove hook(s) trim if necessary with a razor blade or exacto type knife.

I have molds modified following this method that last over 1000 pours. I've also made the mods and after a few casts decided I did not like what I had done and picked the mod off the mold. A little tube of the stuff will last a long time with proper storage and will do a lot of mold modification.

Removal is simple, use a dental pick, bodkin or something similar and peel the plug off the mold.

Alternately you can clip and remove the collar barb etc but I find the little bit of time this takes is well worth the effort.