Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stick Baits and Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Question Stick Baits and Crappie

Read an article in reference to using stick baits, I take it suspending baits. Has anyone used this technique over brush piles or other structure? I run cranks in the summer but this guy was doing it much later in the year and casting as you would a jig to structure. Several cranks after he got to depth with a 5-10 second pause. Would think you could pull in some of the bigger fish with this tech.

If so what type, size ect would you suggest?

Thx

Post Thanks / Like

I have a vidieo with 2 guys fishing in jan in the cold water,they were using 4 and 1/2 in suspending jerk baits like a rogue,some were deep divers and others were short lips,they were in clear water,they would crank it down then jerk it and 5 second pause,they tore them up. I was planning on doing it this year but so much rain and snow has muddy our lakes.the vidieo is any time,anyplace in any water crappie #3,you may can find it on u tube or something.i quit bass fishing and gave all my bass baits to my grandson,had many jerk baits in the tackle,while bass fishing i use to catch crappies on them but didn't pay any tention at that time,only fish for bass then,if need more information on vidieo like what lake or such let me know and i will look at it again
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see any reason they wouldn't work for crappie because a lot of baits that work for Walleye can be used while crappie fishing. Using the stickbait over brush may work very well with a short pause of maybe 1 second, I would think anything longer would let the bait rise back to the top of the water. If you try the stickbait let us know how they work for you. I know I have some and will also give it a try over the summer.

Ronnie
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by genec View Post
    I have a vidieo with 2 guys fishing in jan in the cold water,they were using 4 and 1/2 in suspending jerk baits like a rogue,some were deep divers and others were short lips,they were in clear water,they would crank it down then jerk it and 5 second pause,they tore them up. I was planning on doing it this year but so much rain and snow has muddy our lakes.the vidieo is any time,anyplace in any water crappie #3,you may can find it on u tube or something.i quit bass fishing and gave all my bass baits to my grandson,had many jerk baits in the tackle,while bass fishing i use to catch crappies on them but didn't pay any tention at that time,only fish for bass then,if need more information on vidieo like what lake or such let me know and i will look at it again
    Thanks for the info
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Torch on the MS board uses stick baits sometimes
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

genec this guy was also using it in the winter along rock bluffs that dropped deep. Thx for the vid info, will look that up.

stumphunter I plan on getting out tomorrow and have one or two I'm going to try. I'll let you all know but it may take several outings to get a good report....my kind of research / FISHING

Post Thanks / Like

Thx G, I'll check his post

Can someone tell me what would be best in the deeper stuff? Would like to see someone chime in that has some on the water experience with doing this to give some do' and don'ts.

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

We catch a lot of crappie on the Suspending 3 in. Rapala silver/black back(these are usually in the trout section)(don't stock very many) walmart,Rapala huskey jerk 3 1/2 in tenn shad!! We fish clear deep lakes Norfork,Bull shoals,Greers Ferry!! When we find the Gulls diving for injured or stunned shad if their is a brush pile or tree top in this area these suspending baits work well!! We have friends that troll these baits also during spring starting around march -15 (walleye) and catch lots of crappie!!!
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.
    Likes bluedrifter LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I just got a couple Lucky craft Pointer 65DD wich say suspend at 6-10'. Cute lil bait. Have not tried it yet.

Post Thanks / Like

The trick is getting A bait to suspend at the depth of the fish. We get a lot of crappie while bass fishing. Slash baits catches just about anything that swims. LC's are great baits

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast