Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Tunnel Dam or Lake Niangua

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tunnel Dam or Lake Niangua

Brother called and wants to try Tunnel Dam. Neither one of us has been there and don't know what to expect. Looked it up on Google and it looked like a fairly small lake. Is there a ramp there or do most people fish off the bank or below the spillway? Also, are there any restrictions like motor size.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't waste your time with Tunnel Lake. It is filled in with silt. The average depth is probably about 6'. Last time I was there it was full of vegetation and stumps everywhere. The river at the head of the lake is pretty nice with deeper water but getting there was a pain. There is a conservation ramp on the west side of the lake. You should be able to see it on Google earth and the gravel roads going to it. I think it is pretty good for gigging suckers but the season is closed now I think.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried to catch some cats off the dam one night about ten years
    ago. I didn't get to fish much because it was summer and there
    were scorpion all over the place in those rocks and crawling up the
    concrete. I have no reason to go back!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Tunnel Dam, is or use to be an awesome place to fish. I grew up about 15 min from there and we fished it a lot. Defiantly a aluminium flat bottom lake. Small gas motor and extra trolling motor batteries. You can fish of the bank near the ramp but the water is only about 3 feet from the bank to about 100 yards out. If you put a boat in make sure the water is not dingy there are huge stump fields up stream from the ramp. There is some awesome crappie there as well as small mouth, large mouth, all kinds of cats. The saying about the lake is the home of the huge carp and giant crappie. If you or anyone wants more info about tunnel dam just send me a private message and we could exchange numbers and I can explain it better.

P.s. I loved fishing there, never had a day without a bite.

Post Thanks / Like

Ever do any good with the White Bass below the dam in the Spring?

RHB

Post Thanks / Like

I was raised on the lake the river above and below. You have to have 10 horse and under on the lake. Like posted previous she is shallow until you get near the dam. There are stumps and vegetation through out everywhere on the lake. It's best to test it in the summer. Below the dam is mostly trash fish. Most whites do not migrate up there. The power house on the other side has produced one or two whites for me but never below the dam. A few crappie a few cats if your lucky. Other than mostly gar, and perch.
    New goal 16" crappie by December 30

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking about the power house outflow I tried fishing there once many years ago and had heard about catching white bass, crappie, some walleye there but about like normal the information that I got was weeks old and give me another week to get there I was about a month too late. Never went back, it was a nice looking lake though this was probably 40 years ago.

RHB