PDA

View Full Version : Uncle Buck's Round Crappie Reel UB10

HOTSPOT
10-30-2006, 10:17 AM
Hey gang,

I need some reviews on this reel, good or bad. I like the simplicity, size, light weight, and no line twist that this reel offers. I troll and vertical fish only, no casting.

Thanks!!

http://image.basspro.com/images/images2/300-000/300-501-00b.jpg

sac-a-lait
10-30-2006, 10:22 AM
the lighter the better!!! and that's colored plastic not metal. I just go with the basic $5 model. All I use a reel for is holding the line and setting my depth.

HOTSPOT
10-30-2006, 10:27 AM
Same here sac-a-lait. Thanks for the input!

Jigster
10-30-2006, 10:47 AM
I have several of em and like em. light weight, user friendly, and cheap !

Jigster

Matt Smith
10-30-2006, 11:21 AM
I have not been impressed with their reliability. The drag is WAY too sensitive. If you bump it accidentally, it will drastically change tension. The anti-reverse doesn't work all the time either. For a small fish, they are fine, but I'd hate to tangle with a 13" or better crappie.

I'm replacing mine with the $12 Uncle Bucks reel.

Cracker68
10-30-2006, 02:09 PM
I have some of the ones you asked about, they are good if you are jigging.

But the uncle buck 12dollar are the ticket if you troll. I have several and love them. But if you troll deep water 15' foot plus, you may want to look at some sort of spinning rig. I fish Reelfoot so I don't get much of a chance of 15' plus deep water.

Cracker68
10-30-2006, 02:38 PM
Here is what I use,

willfish4food
10-30-2006, 03:23 PM
I was in Sportsman's Warehouse this weekend and they have some shakespeare undercast reels for 11.99. I have put my order in for 16 of those come Christmas.

HOTSPOT
11-08-2006, 09:37 AM
I ordered 8 of these. Last night, I boxed them up to send them back. Half of them had issues the first time I used them. I will stick with my old Shakespeare Synergy Steel spin casters.

ceb
11-08-2006, 09:45 AM
I recently bought 5 b'n'm slo-trollers. I matched 'em up with the red round reels. I really haven't had an issue with mine. You do need to make sure that you properly spool them though. The only thing that I don't like about them is the line recovery. Pulling in the poles, it feels like you are winding that little reel forever. A few days ago, I bought one like Cracker68 has. It is a shakespeare wonderreel. It seems to be the ticket, but I haven't tried it out yet.

Wiskers
11-09-2006, 07:04 AM
I have not been impressed with their reliability. The drag is WAY too sensitive. If you bump it accidentally, it will drastically change tension. The anti-reverse doesn't work all the time either. For a small fish, they are fine, but I'd hate to tangle with a 13" or better crappie.

I'm replacing mine with the $12 Uncle Bucks reel.

I have 14 of the little Uncle Buck "Red" level wind reels like Cracker68. I got them for $9 at Basspro. I had baught 4 of the B&M's at Wal Mart for $14 but when I got home & put them on some poles 3 of the 4 were stripped out (gear spinning on shaft). I took all 4 back and got my money back. The guy in the sporting goods dept. told me that he had had several returned for that reason.

I have had good luck with the Uncle Bucks!:D

sls
11-09-2006, 08:13 PM
We also use the Uncle Bucks. Just make sure you have the button/lever in the proper position. That is a human thing, not a device issue.

Wiskers
11-10-2006, 08:39 AM
We also use the Uncle Bucks. Just make sure you have the button/lever in the proper position. That is a human thing, not a device issue.
I don't know if you were refering to my talking about the B&M's being stripped out or not, but if so I want to explain. The reels I was talking about were never used. They would not reel in to even load them with line right out of the box. When you opened them up the gear spun on the shaft. The gear is pressed on and was not seated well. The Uncle Bucks that I bought at Bass Pro have never had a problem with them other than the handles are soft & bend easily. Heck I don't know what the problem is.:confused: They're basically the same reel.

You are right about the lever. I've done it too!:D

bassadict69
11-17-2006, 07:55 AM
I bought one of the UBucks $9 reels yesterday. The anti-reverse lever does not seem to work. Regardless of switch position, it will spin & reel in reverse.

Bad reel? or am I doing something wrong?

IwishIdid
11-17-2006, 08:30 AM
Those "mini baitcasters " are pretty good reels for the money. I used the south bend panfish model which is identical to the uncle bucks. I can say that you will need to keep them well oiled or the reel will bind. Also in time the plastic spool will crack and begin to bind. I have since changed to the 39.99 wally marshall bait caster and can say it is well worth it.