Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stick/Pole style anchors

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stick/Pole style anchors

Anybody ever use the pole style anchors for shallow water fishing? Are they effective? What are some cheap alternatives (pvc, bamboo, etc.)? It seems that this type of anchor would be easier to use and spook fewer fish when compared to my 20lbs anchors.

Post Thanks / Like

I made mine out of 3/4 inch pvc with a t handle on top to push it into the ground with. works good for me and cheap.

Post Thanks / Like

For good DIY ideas, google kayak forum pole anchors (lots of really cool stuff on the kayak forums- those folks are very creative) and check out instructables.com
    I've got an extension pole for a shallow water anchor, so it can fold down for easier storage.

Post Thanks / Like

with pvc being hollow, how much mud does it haul into the boat

Post Thanks / Like

none if you cap the bottom end

Post Thanks / Like

I bought these with 8 ft poles.....good for water depth around 3.5 ft deep.......have to consider maybe one ft in the mud and maybe 3.5 ft above water......not cheap but they work good.....

http://www.stickitanchorpins.com/index.html

later found this somewhere on the forum.....lots of choices and maybe cheaper to make yourself.....

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23139

good luck with your choice....
    The "King" is coming
    This could be the Day....
    RETIRED LOUISIANA CRAPPIE HUNTER

Post Thanks / Like

I looked at the stick-it's and was going to buy or make one until I went fishing with a friend in the salt water marshs around New Orleans for trout and red fish. He had a Cajun anchor--essentially a stainless steel pointed rod with a rope attached to one end. Weighs about 6-8 pounds. You throw it like a spear straight down, let out some rope like an anchor, and tie it off. Bought one myself and I've used it in up to 6 feet of water. Works great--had it out with 30 MPH gusts and held my 19' foot Lund like a champ. My tournament partner was so impressed, he went out and bought one. Comes off a mud bottom very clean compared to a standard anchor. Not sure what would happen in a gravel or rock bottom.
    Likes Big CountryNC LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I put C Clamp on the boat and use a closet pole 10 foot x 1 1/8 " pole . I tryed solid fiberglass but yep's the splinters were too much. I'll try the PVC 1" with a T cap and cap the bottom at least there are no splinters. I think a spear nose would be worth making for the bottom. Use 20 gauge sheet metal

Post Thanks / Like

Can you tell me what the approximate dimensions are of the pointed rod?
    Thanks
    BC

Quote Originally Posted by fished-out View Post
    I looked at the stick-it's and was going to buy or make one until I went fishing with a friend in the salt water marshs around New Orleans for trout and red fish. He had a Cajun anchor--essentially a stainless steel pointed rod with a rope attached to one end. Weighs about 6-8 pounds. You throw it like a spear straight down, let out some rope like an anchor, and tie it off. Bought one myself and I've used it in up to 6 feet of water. Works great--had it out with 30 MPH gusts and held my 19' foot Lund like a champ. My tournament partner was so impressed, he went out and bought one. Comes off a mud bottom very clean compared to a standard anchor. Not sure what would happen in a gravel or rock bottom.
    lets get-r-dun on some crappie fishin...

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

I made a "Cajun Anchor" at work. 1" steel rod cut to about 36-40". Pointed the end on the belt sander. Not sharp like a pencil. Just bull-nosed. Hole thru other end to slide shackle pin. Rope to eye. Don't even have to throw it. A good drop will do just fine in 8 or less feet. You will be surprised how deep it will penetrate on a mud bottom. I do have to swing it in the water to get the mud off, but it works well. And you can tie off surprisingly close to the rod.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast