Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: catching frigid temp crappie??

Post Thanks / Like

Default catching frigid temp crappie??

How are you guys catching these Tennessee or pickwick lake crappie in single digit lows and 30s for highs??? Going this weekend and seems like hard time to fish just wanting some ideas to try??
    War Eagle 1754RG Side pulling. Kansas bow hunter.
    Booners & Bands Lodge.
    All men die few ever really live.

Post Thanks / Like

That's my favorite time to catch them. I usually find them schooled up pretty good on some sort of flat. I slow troll (.05) with a float 2-3 feet off the bottom and when I find a good school I'll grab my rod with tube jigs on it and cast to them.
    Likes Wiskers LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I only have a cheap fish finder tells depth mainly shows some fish at depth but don't think its accurate or can't tell much about it. Cheap hummingbird like 100 most 5in screen its yellow. Guess I can troll to find them maybe

Post Thanks / Like

i like to fish this time of year to less people to deal with. problem is the water is to hard here!
    Likes Drtodd10 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I went today ,water temp was 37 degrees,we caught them about a foot off bottom in 24 fow,we caught about 35 and my friend keep 19,with one 15 and 4 14 and the rest he keep was 11 to 13 inch ,all caught on jigs,no minnows
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Post Thanks / Like

That's a good day fishing!!!

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Find a good deep flat off a channel, fish a foot or two off the bottom. When you find some mark your spot with a buoy. Fish slow, they not going to move to far in these temps.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes papadave LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't over look shallower water as well. I've been finding them in 6-8 fow and according to my records I caught them 18 inches deep in 3 fow last year at this time. I don't have a real good depth finder either but, I look for any ditches or structure no matter how small while slow trolling the flats. I do really well when there's creek channels running through flats. When I slow troll I'm basically long lining except I run a float to keep the flies or tubes in the strike zone that I want to fish. When I troll on calm days I set my Terrova around .05 +/- .01 either way to find the sweet speed. Something that I don't see ANYONE else doing is "zig zagging" tightly and this SERIOUSLY increases my catch. I'll have my Terrova speed set and autopilot set but, then I work the trolling motor EVER so slightly so, for example if I "zag" right the line speed on the right side rods slows down while the left side speeds up and this slight slowing down and speeding up triggers a ton of bites. It drives people that go with me crazy for a while until they figure out that that's what's triggering the bites.

Post Thanks / Like

Where can I get a map if pickwick lake that shows underwater structure or creek channels and humps?? Preferably download to my phone or I could buy one to use also. The GPS on phone would show exactly where your at when looking at map if there is such map??? That'd be awesome to have Google earth on phone showing topo of map or creek channel. Like to see all the stuff before its flooded on a map or something