Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: long line two jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default long line two jigs

How many of you long line with two jigs per pole? What do you think are the pros/cons of doing so?
    Likes hfd202 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

If I pull double jigs it is usually 2 1/32oz jigs with a southern pro body. 6 lbs test line running .7 mph. The depth will run between 9 and 11 fow. This is about the same as a 1/16 oz jig will run. and sometimes you will get a double on one rod. The cons to it is it is hard to fish in really shallow water you have to speed up to much for it to work right. but it can be done. you are always hanging up if there are stumps in the area.If you want to learn about depths and different jig weights check out on you tube Kelly Matthews on making a 1/24 oz jig mould. He gives some really good information on jig size speed and depth they will run. it will get you in the ball park.
    When nothing is going right, Just go fishing.
    Earl Dibbles Jr.

Post Thanks / Like

I almost always run two. It's a numbers game and can try different colors and weights. Only time I don't double is in really shallow structure filled areas and when pulling road runner type heads.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't long line a ton, but when I do I almost always have two baits. To me, the obvious side is that is appears that the trailing bait might be an easier, weaker target for fish. On the other side, it could also appears like one is chasing the other. Another reason I like it is because I'm adding weight to my rig. I've caught a good amount of fish with less than 30' of line out. When you put two 1/8 oz or an 1/8 and a 1/16 on one line, it doesn't take much to get the bait down to 8-14', which is the area I target most. The less line I have out, the tighter I can make turns without getting crossed up.

Post Thanks / Like

It is also a good way to fish 2 depths at the same time.
    The only thing better than a day of fishing.Is a week of fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

going to try two 1/32oz on half my poles next time out and see how it works. Been long lining for 20 years and have never tried it for some reason.

Post Thanks / Like

What is your preferred method of tying the upper jig on this set-up? I've seen and used a couple of different styles but haven't settled in to which is the best for my presentation.
    I'd rather be fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sliderman View Post
    What is your preferred method of tying the upper jig on this set-up? I've seen and used a couple of different styles but haven't settled in to which is the best for my presentation.
    I'm gonna try a loop knot for both

Post Thanks / Like

I've found a small loop works pretty good. Too short and it will end up too close to the main line. Too long and the jig ends up wrapped around the main line. The loop seems to weaken the main line to some degree which could cost you a good fish. Just curious as to what others are doing. I haven't tried it yet but am looking at tying a prusik knot. That should do away with the main line weakening issue AND allow the knot to be adjusted for varying depths. Not to mention the ease in adding or removing jigs as conditions change. Haven't tried it out on mono yet so I'm not sure of the results. I do use that knot a lot while deer hunting and it's a good one. The only issue I'm trying to overcome is that a tag line may be necessary in order to upright the jig. The loop of a prusik knot will be in the vertical which will greatly effect the action of the jig by laying it over on it's side.
    I'd rather be fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a crossline 3-way swivel. Tie 1` on the center to 1/8 or 1/6 jig. Then tie 4` leader to 1/32 or 1/24. This makes the trailing jig ride a little higher then the lead jig and about 3` behind. When fish come up for the lead jig and miss it, the trailing jig comes by above the fish in sight. If it where lower the fish mite not see it. When fish are schooled several fish may come up competeing for the bait, great chance for 2!!! Useing the swivel lets me change the lead jig easyer and faster then if useing along loop knot in mainline. I`ve tryed a few differant rigs this is what works for me. when I tryed to fish heavy jig on bottom, light jig on top to seperate 2` to 3` apart top jig twisted up on mainline most of the time with or without swivel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast