Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Hope I am not getting cheap!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hope I am not getting cheap!!!

Checking my reels and getting ready for warmer weather. I discovered one of my casting reels is in need of repair. I was looking at some reels in catalogs and they go as high as $650.00. Never had a reel that cost that much. Most of my spinning reels are Pfluger Presidents or Trions. I don't bass fish anymore so I was trying to replace with something that would give good service if I decided to give them a try .My casting reels cost less than $100.00. If I shut my eyes would I be able to feel the difference, is it a presdege thing, or am I just cheap.......crappie1133

Post Thanks / Like

I think they are just using us! What can be in a real to make it cost $650? Maybe if your fishing for big game saltwater fish you need some heavy duty equipment. But what do you need to catch a crappie, bass or a walleye? For two of my crappie rigs I still have a Mitchell 308 and a 408 spinning reel I bought over 40 years for probably under $30.00 and they still work just fine. I also have two Quick casting reals that are about 30 years old and cost under $50 that work beautifully. Over the years I have gotten goofy and bought Shimanos for over $200 and a Quantum casting real that was to be $250 for $130. Are they any better? They are a little fancier, a little smoother. I think they all cast about the same and I have never lost a fish on any of them to a bad drag. I don't think you are getting cheap I just think you are remaining sane. If you maintain your equipment, change the line you will be fine. There is a lot of good "old" fishing gear out there for sale at great prices. It is easy to tell if it is beat or not. You just need to find that guys wife who said " if I die I hope my wife doesn't sell my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it!!!"

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

they will charge what the market will bear . Unless you are making a living with your reels it's a waste of money . There are many nice things developed to help catch more fish or fishermen !
    Likes CrappieFlopper, BoarBuster LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

youre cheap!!!

but so am I. most of my reels for crappie fishing are under $50. Like you I have a few Presidents and I think they are great reels for the money. I do have a couple of Shimano Ci4's that I use for trout and drum. They are NICE, very light and very smooth and they hold up to the salt water like a champ.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The answer is NO, you probably would never be able to tell the difference between most 50.00 dollar reels from a 200.00 reel unless your casting all day with it.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979