Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: used boat questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default used boat questions

I am thinking about upgradeing boats

How many engine Hrs would be considered a lot of hrs on a 2 stroke motor ?
    Some have said new power head When the power head has been replaced how much of the motor has been replaced?
    Dreaming about a Ranger. What should I be looking at on a used boat?
    Corn Field Crappie Gear
    Member Podunk Ideas Pro Team

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll see if I can locate a purple ProCraft.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

IMO--think about how much you actually run a boat in a day--most of the time, I'm on the trolling motor, and just run from place to place, usually no more than 5-10 minutes per move (3-10 miles at my speed). And buying a used boat, it depends on what you can afford. That said, if it's 5 years old, I'm looking for something under 200 hours. Means they averaged under 40 hours a year, which might translate to 15-20 trips a year--used, but not run to death. Also depends on how it was maintained, horsepower, motor brand--all come into it. How does the motor look--beat up? Or pristine? It all matters to me and is somewhat subjective.

On a glass boat, make sure you slide under it and check the hull with a strong light for any kind of damage. On a tin boat, look for dropped rivets, repairs, weld issues--alot like buying a car, but with leaks . Make sure all the electronics and other stuff works, especially bilge and livewell pumps. Not hard to replace a pump, horn, etc, but you want to know up front. If you're spending alot, ask them to take you out in it and open it up--see how it rides, trim, handles the wind and waves, etc. Good way to bum a fishing trip too .

If they've had to replace the power head, I don't want the boat--may be a sign of how they run the boat, the motor brand (example--right after Evinrude came back from the dead, their big motors went through a period where they were infamous for blowing heads and other issues), and age-related issues. Not that you can't get a good one--I just won't take the chance with my money and time.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.
    Likes Wiskers, Bridgeholder1, ehall LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrdux View Post
    I'll see if I can locate a purple ProCraft.

She ain't for sale!

Don't be hack'n on my purple boat!
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wiskers View Post

She ain't for sale!

Don't be hack'n on my purple boat!
    I thought surely if we could find another one like it Mark would be all over that.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

a replaced powerhead would not deter me from buying a used boat. if the powerhead has been recently replaced it should be good to go for a long time. Instead of looking for a generic # of hours, you should be looking at individual motors subjectively. There are various motors from the full spectrum of manufacturers that are known to be bullet proof along with various motors that are known for trouble. Any good outboard mechanic can give you a heads up on which motors to stay away from and which ones to grab, regardless of hours.

Post Thanks / Like

Test runs and compression check on cylinders is a must!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Power head is basically a new motor without carbs and some electronics. Check the lower unit and compression and it's good to go. I highly recommend a four stroke.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smokercraft View Post
    Test runs and compression check on cylinders is a must!!!
    Test runs are highly desirable but a compression test is a must. And check the deck for soft spots. Look for cracks in the transom.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a used 115hp four stroke Suzuki that had been thru Katrina was serviced as soon as the people could go in after the storm that would crank as soon as the key turned so I would say you really have to look at each motor and see for yourself the pros and cons of each. Sometimes those that look ruff on the outside still have the heart of a lion on the inside.
    FISH ON
    Likes wannabe fisherman LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast