Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Help needed?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help needed?

I fished with my dad as a kid mostly stripper fishing some bass and a little crappie. I don't remember what we did or where we fished. We always caught fish but I don't remember how. For the past 15 years I have been fishing offshore and forgot how to freshwater fish. A few years ago a friend took me trolling for crappie and I fell in love with it. Now I have 2 boys a boat and some fishing stuff. I've been watching a lot of videos and stuff on YouTube. My questions are
    1 on sunny days use a darker color jig or lighter?
    2 in murky water brighter?
    3 how to locate crappie? I know they like brush but I here about drops and ledges how deep?

I went a few times last year and caught a few fish but was only successful 3 times out of about 10 trips. I plan on fishing hartwell, greenwood, and succession.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Crappie.com

Travis ... my says for questions #1 & #2 that a combo colored bait can be used in most cases. And the "combo" is usually more effective when the colors contrast with each other, like a dark/light colored body. Combo's like black/chartreuse, blue/chartreuse, green/chartreuse, black/pink, red/white ... you get the picture !!

On question #3 .... depth is relative to the lake, water temperature, season, and prevailing conditions. Good electronics will shorten your search time. But you don't necessarily "need" high end electronics, if you learn how to use & interpret whatever unit you may have.

You might also want to pose these same questions over on the South Carolina state forum. They may be able to give you more defined answers about the lakes you intend to fish.

... cp

(and just so you don't get any good natured flak ... "strippers" dance around poles - "stripers" are caught with poles )
    Likes Bobo Greybeard, NIMROD LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Crappiepappy. Thanks for the info. And I hate typo some times. I spelt stripers and strikers came up and when I went back to correct I did not pay attention that it spelt strippers. But that was hilarious what you said.
    Likes bluedrifter, Wildthang LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

It was meant to be "funny" and not trashing your spelling mishap. Happens all the time, and occasionally there will be some "joking" going on about it. I just wanted to give you a heads up, so you wouldn't take it the wrong way if it should happen. Once you've been around here for awhile, you'll be able to tell the difference in good natured ribbing & trash talk, versus an actual personal attack.

And if you should ever receive what you consider a "personal attack" ... look at the bottom highlighted line under that post and click on the triangle with a ! in the middle. That's the REPORT A POST icon ... use IT, rather than replying to the offensive message. SuperModerators & Admin. will receive a message concerning the reported offense, and we will deal with the situation.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't take it offensive. It was hilarious. Told some guys at work and they busted out laughing. It's all good. I did repost in the South Carolina forum and got some great info. Thanks cp.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Travisd View Post
    I didn't take it offensive. It was hilarious. Told some guys at work and they busted out laughing. It's all good. I did repost in the South Carolina forum and got some great info. Thanks cp.
    That's the way it was intended, and I hope you get the same friendly reaction to any misspellings or "ooops" remarks that you may make on this site.

And if you ever want info on fishing the "swamps" of SC .. you look up my buddy GCromer. Gerald will give you the straight skinny on his area waters of the state.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

On a truck forum I frequent, one poster stated he was interested in buying a wench for his truck. Boy, did THAT get some comments!
    I love HIM because HE first loved me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flyboy2610 View Post
    On a truck forum I frequent, one poster stated he was interested in buying a wench for his truck. Boy, did THAT get some comments!
    Good thing there is no such thing as a Stripping Winch or Striper Winch

It's bad enough that some members have a hard time convincing their significant others that the metal flake from certain Crappie Nibbles are not glitter from some strip club "lady" ... let alone explain going out looking for "Strippers" or a "Wench"

... cp