Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on HDS5, adding side scan and/or downscan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question on HDS5, adding side scan and/or downscan

I currently have two Lorwance HDS5 gen one units on my boat that are almost two years old. I'm wanting to upgrade to structure scan or at least down scan. I have been looking at cost and trying to figure the best setup for a weekend warrior.

Based on the salesmen's recommendation I have the following options: Thought the HDS5 screen might be too small to take advantage of side scan.
    #1-upgrade to a HDS7 gen 2 and purchase the structure scan unit and use one of the HDS5's I have for the front of the boat networked together. This would mean adding the structure scan unit and new power cord. Can use old transducer and power cord for HDS7 unit.

#2-upgradeing to a HDS7 touch screen that has the structure scan built into it. I could use the transducer and power cord already installed and not have to add the structure scan box with new power cord. I could still network them together.
    #3-upgrade to either of the two listed and add a separate unit with down scan for the trolling motor. like an elite 7. and not network any together.
    Can anyone tell me if they think structure scan would be worth it or maybe just adding down scan to both front and back units. I like the thought of side scan after learning how to read it, but not too sure about networking them together. I think I'd rather see the down scan image under the front (while fishing from the front) of the boat then the side image behind.
    I've started to fish Truman for crappie and local lakes for bass. I just wanted to get an idea of what most people used Down scan or side scan? Big investment.

Last questions is do you think the current units I have are worth much. I have the original box, instruction manuals, hard screen cover, cleaning cloth never used, depending on whether I use a new unit with down scan on the front I may have one power cord and one transducer. I would like to post them on the Ad board once I learn a little more about it. I'd like to think I would sell at a price that's fair for both parties, not looking at taking advantage of anyone, everyone here on this site has been great and very helpful. If you have an idea of a fair price to list at please PM me.
    Thank you and be safe on the water.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of guys use SI at the console and run DI at the bow on the trolling motor. I am currently switching to Humminbird's on the new boat and will be running SI at console and DI and 360 at the bow. I feel you can idle around with the big motor and find structure with the SI and set waypoints and then go to them and use the DI to get a better look at what is there. I had ran a HDS 5 at the console for several years and then added a HDS 7 and moved the 5 upfront. Huge difference in what you can see on the 2" larger unit and I never had the LSS1 hooked up before I sold it. I used it more for GPS mapping than anything. Go with the largest unit/screen within your budget. Do the HDS units you have now have Lake Insight mapping? That will make them worth more money when trying to sell. These units sell everyday on bassboatcentral.com classified's section. Great place to go see what they are currently bringing/worth.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your reply, yes both units have Lake In Sight on them.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

First one I seen on BBC sold for $300 in 6 days and did not have power cord. It came with transducer, bracket and cover.

Post Thanks / Like

i just moved my hds8 to bow and got a touch9 at console and network'd them which let you share waypoint ... My SS n DS are off back of boat....my 2d for tha bow comes off my trolling motor.... i think you would be really happy with both SS and DS its great tool on tha water... after having tha 9 now i wanta buy 12 for console n move 9 to bow... screen size is everything.... it all what you wanta spend.... you could just buy used structure scan lss1(look on bass boat central) and see if tha hds5's work for you.... everything i heard on elite7 it runs little slower than hds units.... call BBG MARINE he will fix you up and best price around on new units
    Likes Jigging15 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Once again I thank everyone for this site. The members here go out of their way to help and provide info.

"Daddy Rat" so by practice do you drive over an area with the transom SS and DS to view then come back with the trolling motor, or look at the SS and DS after you pass an area while fishing from the front. It's been recommended that I should have both SS and DS on back and separate DS on front. I was thinking that may of been more of lets make a sale then needed. I was able to put my HDS5 into simulation mode with structure scan. Had three screens-SS very small! Might be cheaper way to get started, but thought I might save some time a effort not having to mount separate lss1 box. Do you think there is much difference in lss1 and lss2. I thought about buying the lss2 and trying it.

Post Thanks / Like

Jigging15 and Daddy Rat both gave lots of good info. Last year I was in your same boat as you trying to decide what to get. I ended up getting the HDS 7 bundled with the LSS2. I have it setup like Daddy Rat with the SS, DS, and 2d in the back and then added another 2d transducer for the trolling motor. It’s a pain sometimes but I move my unit back and forth. I ran another cable from the LSS2 to the front so I can see the SS and DS in the front also. It's nice to be able to see the SS and DS in the front. The SS and DS don't work very well if you are not moving much, so it’s not as useful in the front.
    I have had my unit for about 10 months now and can't imagine fishing Truman without it. I can scan an area that I want to fish and tell within minutes if it’s holding fish. It takes a while to get used to it and figure out what you are looking at and I'm still learning every time I go out. If you’re like me and don't get out all that much, it’s hard to spend time on the water looking for fish and not fishing, but it can pay off if you look. It’s harder in the spring to decide on a location to fish when the fish are scattered and you’re seeing a few fish everywhere. This winter, it has been easier to find concentrations of fish but getting them to bite is another thing. As the other guys have said screen size is everything. The 7 works but it sure would be nice to have a larger screen!

Post Thanks / Like

i pretty much use my console to SS and DS to find spot's i like and mark waypoint and then come back to them with most time just my map and 2d sonar at bow.... but that just works best for my style of fishing... im not sure bout diff in lss 1 or 2 but if i was buying it would be lss2... i bought the lss2 transducer.... with touch9 and 12 you have two ethernet ports the touch7 just has one... im bad bout fishing to much and not learning more bout my sonar.... they can do so much if you dont fish few days week it hard to remember it all
    Likes Jigging15 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you sir

Post Thanks / Like

Think of side and down image as taking thin slices very fast and making a
    picture like image. 2D is a cone narrow at top and wider at the bottom.
    Side image needs straight line movement at 2-5 mph to get a close to real
    image. If that transducer was mounted on tolling motor that moves with
    coarse correction it won't give a good image. It dosnt affect 2D s cone much.
    A non shielded troll motor will affect image If unit is ran off same batteries.
    Hope this helps and good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast