Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Ive got a few questions!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ive got a few questions!

I got a few questions...

1) Whats your overall best bait? (Not Alive) (Tell me the brand, Example: Crankbait Strike King)

2) I'm also looking at the BPS Crappie Fishing Sale ad and see a Berkley Flickr Shad... How well is this bait? If it's good whats a good color and size?

3) In the BPS ad they have the older version of the Crappie Maxx Signature Series combo on sale for $24.97 originally $39.99. With that said, BPS has come out with a new Crappie Maxx Signature Series combo I seen on there website which is $39.99.

My theory is if the combo sets are a little different (not much) then go for the older combo series that's on sale. One thing I noticed with newer model combo set rods is stainless steel guides. I don't know if older one has them. I know both combo set rods are 1 pc rods which I like. The reels on these combo sets look different (don't know if there's a big difference here either).

I'm wondering the difference between the newer version and older version, is the upgrade a bigger difference with the newer combo?

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...oreID=77&tab=3 <-- Older Combo on sale in ad.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...1308030621394/ <-- newer combo on website.

Thanks for the help to these questions.

Post Thanks / Like

1) I like Bobby Garland Baby Shad and Panfish Assassins. Color would depend on conditions and could change multiple times in a given day. A good go-to for me is anything with white and chart, but that doesnt always produce.
    2) Cant comment, never used it.
    3) I have a couple of the older model Crappie Max combos and theyre ok. For the price difference, I'd go with the older model.
    Likes FishOnHook LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

1) I'll have to try them bobby garland baby shad looks sweet.

2) thats fine.

3) Okay will do just throwing bobbers with the pole. Don't want to spend a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

I tie some feather and hair types. I carry every color combination that catches my eye. I use a few basic types of plastic, panfish assassin, tube jigs. standard curly tail in 1 and 2 inch sizes. I then let the fish tell me what they like best that day. I of course have some favorite colors but because I am color blind I have to read the bag. I am a jig caster and pier shooter. I like light rods in 4 to 5.5 foot lengths with ultra light reels and 4 pound high visibility line. Reels must have a good drag. I will no longer buy the Bass Pro Megacast reel. I bought a faulty one many years ago by mail order and was in a store and tried to get them to replace it and they refused. It pissed me off so much that I do not buy much from Basspro. Academy, Cabelas, and others have gottrn most of my money since then. I am sure their warranty decision has cost them thousands in business from me over the years. In addition many of my friends go with me to the other stores. My homemade jigs are often weird color combinations that cause my friends to laugh at me until they start producing. For very cold water I have had great luck with blue, purple, and white combinations.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the best lures that I had for catching crappie was sold under the name of 'Pico Perch". I have had so many fish hit it on one trip that I had to go buy a new one because the fish were knocking the paint off of it. I haven't found them in the stores in a long time.
    FISH ON

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are pulling cranks the Flicker Shad is a good one, size#6. if casting the #5 might be a little better. Chrome and Black, Chrome and Blue, Chrome Clown. Watch Mills Fleet Farm the often run great sales on them.
    In plastics any of your Bobby Garland baits are good also I like the Lake Fork live Baby shad.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I love Bobby Garland 2.5 inch "strollers" for crappie or white bass. They are just killers. I've had white bass that are known for not being particular hitting the Bob. G. Strollers and wouldn't hit others hardly at all. Same with crappie. I just love 'em, so buy enough that he keeps making them! -- but leave some for me in black and chartreuse.