Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Cutting color powder paint with clear.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cutting color powder paint with clear.

What are the reasons for cutting the regular colored powder paint with the clear coats? I have been powder painting a long time but never had a occasion to try this. Have read several threads here recently where this was mentioned. Just wondering why. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I started "cutting" my colored powder's with high gloss clear to stretch them since I started out with nothing but 2oz jars & I had no idea how far 2oz of powder paint would go. Then I realized that by adding the clear, my colors actually have more depth & colors like Matte Black become Gloss Black and any other color that was a low gloss, becomes a much shinier color. Now I routinely cut my new powders and I'm able to share powder's with other jig painter's.

Post Thanks / Like

What he said.

Bobo

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Pepop covered a lot of the reasons to cut with clear coat. When I come across a color that seems to go on to thick adding clear helps thin it so you get a better coat.
    Most all of my paints now have clear coat added in them with some a 50/50 mix.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

Also helps alot when you start adding glitter

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guy's. I am going to do a little experimenting with this clear / color powder mixing. I do a lot with the glitters lately and this may help me out.

Post Thanks / Like

Mostly it's to stretch the color out, make it last longer. The guys that have been doing this a long time will tell you so. Fact is places like Rosie's get their cut regardless. I heed the advise of the elders here as I am a beginner. Just sayin

Post Thanks / Like

Back in the day it was first used to cut problematic paint that wouldn't boil in the fluid beds, i.e. CC white. Before they had all the colors they have now you had to mix your own and clear powder was used to help mix the colors. Later on guys started using to "thin down" their powder paint supply. You can follow the threads on TU.com.
    Highly recommend CC's mirror clear.