HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: braided line for dock shooting

Post Thanks / Like

Default braided line for dock shooting

I'm thinking of trying 15 lb. braid instead of my usual 4lb mono.for shooting docks. Has anyone done this?
    Thanks chimneyman thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Guides on Lake Lanier used to use the Fireline Crystal, but I had trouble with it.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using 8lb Power Pro on one of my dock shooters for at least 3 years now. I think it works better then mono in most all situations. When the wind is blowing pretty good the mono does have an edge for me.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

A friend has recently gone to Nanofill and says it will shoot so much further than the mono he is used to. I'm gonna spool a few up and try it. He's using 10lb.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes papadave LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Just replied to this post and it disappeared! Anyway, I've used both braid and nanofil. The nanofil had much better distance. However, didn't care for either, as they tended to fray in this application more than others, and once that happened, it killed the distance. Went back to mono and copolymers.
    Thanks chimneyman thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I see, thought I was going crazy--you've got two posts on the same topic floating around.

Post Thanks / Like

Got some 10 lb power pro in today in hi vis. Did a comparison in the yard between it and 6 lb crappie express. The braid went around 7 ft further on casting and around 3 ft further on shooting. Think I'm gonna try it out on my casting rod and single pole jigging rod. I mean from what I've seen it's stronger, feel the bite better, goes further. Only negative I see is the price and it might cut into your eyes doing a lot of casting
    Genesis 9:2, 18 ESV.The fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth and upon every bird of the heavens, upon everything that creeps on the ground and all the fish of the sea. Into your hand they are delivered.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goodoleboyz250 View Post
    Only negative I see is the price and it might cut into your eyes doing a lot of casting
    On the price point "negative" .... it may cost more initially, but it will last years longer than mono. Don't fill the entire reel spool with the braid. Fill 1/2 to 2/3 of your reel with old mono, then finish filling with the braid.

On the "cutting into your eyes" point ... not likely to happen unless your guides/tip eye are the really cheap soft metal type.

... cp