Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Making fishing with rod transport tubes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Making fishing with rod transport tubes

So the other day I had a piece of pipe rolling around in the back of my truck and what I did not think about is that I had my fishing poles in there also which resulted in a broken fishing pole and soon since I've got two car seats for my boys in my truck I have no room for my poles in the cab of my truck and so to keep my fishing poles from getting crushed again I was thinking about making some fishing rod transport tubes I'm thinking about making them out of PVC pipe I'm so I was wondering if anybody has made PVC transport road to be further fishing poles out of PVC pipe and how they turned out
    thanks Crappie Josh aka C.J.
    always ready to go fishing

Post Thanks / Like

PVC will work fine. I think ABS is better (lighter.) Use Sch 20 if you can find it. Otherwise, Sch 40 will work, also.

OTOH, you could just buy them. Bass Pro and Cabela's sell them. I have two or three from Bass Pro.

Post Thanks / Like

Having made several, I still cannot decide. One thing I will share is I find it best to have 1 tube per rod. Also although a PITA it is best to remove reels from the rods. I made a bank of 5 which were mounted on a ladder rack from 1.5" S-40 PVC which were wonderful for my 8' spinning rods. Used screw in plugs for end caps costs a bit more but is more secure. Also find it best to make them front load rather than rear load. I did play with a flanged adapter to make a tube that fit rod and reel together. Looked a bit odd but worked like a champ. (1-1/2 stepped up to 6") looks funny but worked.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's what I've made.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Unfinished product. The tiedown hooks are still accessible behind the bar.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

I am just curious as to the wind and vibration causing stress breaks on the continuous bend and vibration. Has anyone had trouble with that

Post Thanks / Like

So far they have been ok. If they were heavier rods, i could put a piece of angle to keep it from getting pulled down from the weight.

Post Thanks / Like

on tube for rod holders ,I would cap front end off and glue and the bagk where reel is ,I would cut a slot the size of reel seat far enough to put hole rod in and then just push a cap pn end and the cap should fit tight enough to stay on by itself,also only cut slot enough to get cap over leaving some extra room at tip and rod cannot move in tube to bind tip,if you choose a bracket in truck I would make where it was level with inside of truck and if had to strape it down,no bend and not as easy to see by those you would not want to see ,more temptation
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Post Thanks / Like

Another good DIY project!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Superx10 View Post
    Unfinished product. The tiedown hooks are still accessible behind the bar.
    I saw a picture on here when I had the same issue and still had my truck, that had them mounted vertical across the front of the bed. Worked great for short or 2 piece rods. Longer rods I would have worried about the height.
    Everyone has a secret talent they didn't know about until tequila.