Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pouring jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default pouring jigs

I been having trouble doing my own . I got round head jig molds with double spurs on them . I can't seem to get them to fill the head out . some one told me that my stream into the mold was to big . I am getting ready to do some more for the season . Anything short of get a new smelt help ? I have been just heating it in a large dipper and pour them . would a smaller pouring fix this ? thanks
    CATCH THEM ALL.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

It might. Have you smoked the inside of the mold? If not take a candle, turn mold over and soot up the inside where head is. Also pour hole. Need to have mold kinda warm also. Start out pouring a few with out hooks. Pour and just let it sit for a few minutes then dump and try again. That's also a good way to see how they are pouring. Might take your dipper and bend in a small pour spout and try that. Remember you have air in the mold that has to come out so a smaller stream will help.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks mr. Charlie
    CATCH THEM ALL.

Post Thanks / Like

If You are using a smaller pouring pot, You can lay the mold over the top while it heats the mold and it will get it plenty hot. i always do a test pour without hooks to make sure I am getting proper fill. I have found that the bigger the pouring stream, the better the results. A good warm mold is probably the ticket. The lead is cooling too quick to get proper fill.CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    Likes liftbite56 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Ok i am just heating it in the pourer and it holds about six or eight ounces liquid . The bigger size pours better . Thanks going to give it a try and see . Right now i just don't want to spin the money on a smelt pot .
    CATCH THEM ALL.

Post Thanks / Like

You may not be getting the lead hot enough with the way You are doing it. If You keep having trouble, and want to keep doing this, spend the bucks on the pot. They last a long, long time. the inside of my pot is a ball of rust now and it keeps going and going.CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiefarmer View Post
    You may not be getting the lead hot enough with the way You are doing it. If You keep having trouble, and want to keep doing this, spend the bucks on the pot. They last a long, long time. the inside of my pot is a ball of rust now and it keeps going and going.CF
    X2! Need your lead hotter.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Post Thanks / Like

A trick I picked up a long time ago was to lightly dust the cavities of my mold with talcum powder. I find I can cast with cooler lead and still get great fill. Smoking the mold helps but IMO talc works better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Redge View Post
    X2! Need your lead hotter.

Bobo
    Likes liftbite56 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I also second the statement on the Lee Production Pot. It will save you a ton of time. I pour close to a thousand heads a week now and I could not do it without the production pot. It will not only get the lead hot enough to not have a problem with. It will also lower the chances of you getting some really bad burns.

Bobo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast