Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Any Ice fisherman?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Any Ice fisherman?

Any icefisherman out there? I can't wait, been looking at local ponds and lakes. Smaller ones covered with skim ice and the lake is partially covered. We're on our way! Weather looks great too!

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Smile You should have put this one on the main forum

There's a bunch of us out here waiting for ice up. My husband and I are in Ohio, Crappie 66 is in Indiana and Len is in Michigan, I think. I can't remember where Blufloyd is, but he's a hard water guy, too.

We have some skin ice around the edges of ponds, but that's all. We figure mid- January at the earliest unless the single digit lows we're getting this weekend stick around. My siblings think we're nuts. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you tell if the water is hard enough to support you? Surely its not like the dummy's mine detector. You know, stomp, stomp stomp. I did do it that way when I was a kid looking for a place to ice skate. Not to bright as I look back. lol
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

How do you tell if the water is hard enough to support you?
    Let your buddy go first. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Default We test

Doug usually cuts his first hole while standing on a dock or he'll walk out a couple of feet and chip through with a screw driver. The rule of thumb is a minimum of three inches for walking, though most of us older cautious types prefer four. At least 6 for a single ATV or snowmobile and 12 for a vehicle. We try to avoid lakes with a lot of snowmobilers since they tend to run in large packs.

We keep articles with photos showing safe and unsafe ice and what to watch for. Another rule of thumb is ice that bends breaks (too thin) ; ice that cracks holds. That means small cracks, not fissures. Thre are lots of other considerations, like freeze/thaw cycles and snow cover. Black (clear) ice is better quality stuff than white (opaque).

It's all the same stuff we checked before ice skating when I was a kid. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

I still get freaked out when I hear that first expansion crack go rippin' down alongside me - kinda like a tympani in a sound proof room.

(raising hand for taxi) - "warm water please"

Post Thanks / Like

We are still weighting here in the Eastern part of the state. I havent cheaked any lake's yet, but I think they will be ready by the middle of next week. I have a small lake near my house that is loaded with crappie just waiting for me. For the most part there not to big in there, mostly in the 9 to10" bracket. What it really need's is to be thined out a little.
    Keep your line wet

Bob G is offline Moderator Keystone Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Zig on expansion cracks. The pucker factor goes way up the first couple times out on the ice.lol
    I have been out on 2" of black ice before. I don't recommend it to anyone but, it is sufficient enough to hold one person and some gear. Thinking lite helps too. :D
    With this cold front coming we should lock up soon and be on the ice within two weeks. I hope.(clicking my heels together and saying "theres no fishing like icefishing")
    Good luck and Stay SAFE!
    Bob Griffith
    Ice Team Power Stick
    Clam Corp. Pro Staff
    Keystone Crappie Association member

Post Thanks / Like

About 25 years ago (78 and 79) we experienced two rather severe winters, back to back. The ice on our 11,000 acre reservoir was 19 inches one of those winters so the ice hung on well into March. One warm day (temperature was 55) we decided to try it, but were skeptical when we got to the lake so we went back home and got our life jackets and were fishing in flannel shirts and life jackets when a fellow about 50 lbs heavier than either of us pulled up in the parking lot, got his gear out, and headed out on the ice. He took several steps out onto the ice, looked down at the ice, muttered something to the effect he wasn't that crazy and returned to his car. I have only broken through the ice once, on New Year's day, and went in up to my armpits. I had a forty mile drive home in wet clothing but changed and returned to the lake. I blamed that event on being young and having too much medicine the night before at a New year's Eve party. By the way, I managed to hang onto all my fishing gear and didn't lose a thing except a little pride as several fishermen saw me go in.
    Ken