Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Umbrella Rigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Umbrella Rigs

Anybody know how many hooks you can have on an umbrella rig in NC?

Thinking about trying one to see how it does with crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

To the best of my knowledge there are no regulations in the state concerning the number of hooks on any rig.
    You just gonna sit there an argue, or fish?
    ~Claud Ledbetter~

Post Thanks / Like

I have enough problem with hanging one hook ,have a couple that was gave to me but so far I just have not use them
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Post Thanks / Like

There's no regulation for U-rigs in NC. Most rigs I've seen and used are 3-7 hooks. Tennessee allows use of them, but a max of three hooks/lures. To my knowledge, states either have no regulations, limit the number of hooks, or ban the use of them.
    Likes sprintfns LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I tried using them for crappie a couple of times, but with very limited success. I pulled them in shallow water using one of my 14' rods, but I ws never able to get anything but one little crappie.
    Likes papadave LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

We had a hundred+ fish day on Hyco early last year. We were catching fish on every bait we put in the water. Decided to drag a 5-hook rig a friend had given me. Nothing, of 8 poles in the water that one was the only one that didn't get bit.
    You just gonna sit there an argue, or fish?
    ~Claud Ledbetter~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by papadave View Post
    We had a hundred+ fish day on Hyco early last year. We were catching fish on every bait we put in the water. Decided to drag a 5-hook rig a friend had given me. Nothing, of 8 poles in the water that one was the only one that didn't get bit.
    In my opinion. You need separation on a U-Rig. I always extend the center bait back much further behind the others. I just don't hook it up. Seems to make a lot of difference in trolling for much of anything. I still get hook ups on the outside baits but I believe they are mostly related to reactionary bites as the rig goes by really close. If the fish follow it. They are going to bite the trailing bait.
    Likes papadave, bassaholic LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I never had any luck with the rig for crappie, Bass yes but no luck on crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

I have read some articles on using the umbrella rigs for crappie and bass. I personally do not like the idea or the presentation method that is said to resemble bait fish that may have strayed from the larger schools... (but regardless of what I prefer)... I can just about promise you you'd be wasting your time now, because this presentation requires much more speed than what the crappie prefer this time of year. I would think it might be more feasible, logical and even more prosperous during the seasons when crappies are chasing shad in various suspended depths in the water column. Just my two cents.
    "Just Like Iron Sharpens Iron... So it is that One Man Sharpens Another Man." Proverbs 27:17
    Likes papadave LIKED above post