Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hybrid crappies?

North_Ms_Crappies Guest

Default hybrid crappies?

Just read up on some Weiss Lake hybrid crappies sounds like fun.They say it only takes 18 months for one to reach 10 inch slot limit WOW.Wish i could put some in my pond or local lake. lol Does anyone know of any other lakes besides Weiss that has hybrids ?

Post Thanks / Like

If they are growing that darn fast is more than twice as fast of growth rate as normal crappie here in IN.

Quote Originally Posted by North_Ms_Crappies
    Just read up on some Weiss Lake hybrid crappies sounds like fun.They say it only takes 18 months for one to reach 10 inch slot limit WOW.Wish i could put some in my pond or local lake. lol Does anyone know of any other lakes besides Weiss that has hybrids ?
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Are they like what alot of hybrids can be, sterile? If they were, they would have to be restocked yearly. Still, they sound like they would be great.

North_Ms_Crappies Guest

Im not sure if they are sterile but im sure about the growth rate.They also said that this happened on its on they didnt set out to make a hybrid it just happend in this specific lake a mix between a white and black crappie.I just found this out today sounds like a pretty awesome crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like someone is putting Growth Hormones in that lake LOL

Quote Originally Posted by North_Ms_Crappies
    Im not sure if they are sterile but im sure about the growth rate.They also said that this happened on its on they didnt set out to make a hybrid it just happend in this specific lake a mix between a white and black crappie.I just found this out today sounds like a pretty awesome crappie.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hybrids

Actually, studies show that hybrids are much more common than originally thought. Many of the AL and GA lakes have them to a certain degree. I've also seen studies out of MN showing they have them also. As far as a percent of the population it tends to be on the low side. I've sen 1-10% as the common range.

As for growth, it is commonly referred to as hybrid vigor. The F1's (first year cross) are the ones growing so quick. They also have what is called Fx's which are second generation hybrids. These don't grow quite as quickly as the "vigor" gets diminished as the genes get diluted.

This also means though that hybrids are not sterile, and can reproduce normally with the rest of the population. However, you don't see many Fx generation fish suggesting that there might be some issues with either the success of the eggs or the young fish's ability to survive.

Lastly, it is very hard to pick a hybrid out of a crowd. Even the biologists misidentified hybrids as either a black or a white a bunch of the time. Only sure way to know is to have the fishs' DNA tested as the hybrid tends to have characteristics of both of its parents.

-Team9

Post Thanks / Like

Did you study Fruit Flys? LOL Drosophlia melanogaster (SP?) It's been years since I hear the term F1 or F2 generation. Brings back memories of my fruit flies waking up from the either while I was counting and categorizing them under the stereo microscope. LOL Darn fly come back here!

In genetics class we had to grow fruit flies in culture jars. We would then try to put them to sleep with Ether. They would then be dumped out onto the microscope stages and seperated into different groups using a small needle like probe device. I would all the bar eyes in one group and all the curly hairs in another group and then have anohter phenotype in another small group. When they would wake up before I finished seperating them and counting them they would begin to crawl around. Then you would have the bar eyes moving over into the curely wings group and then you would have to start all over again. If you didn't use enough ether they would wake up before you could count them and if you used too much either you would kill them all. You had to get it just right. It was a real Pain in the butt at times but fun too. Everyone had fruit flies in thier dorms and fraturnity houses during that class. Somehow the fruit flies hitched rides with the students and got loose on in the campus residences all over Purdue University. LOL Whenever I see a fruit fly I think back to my Genetics Class at Purdue and all the fun we had back then.

F1 generation sure triggers those memories again.

Back then we didn't have the DNA sequencing science that we have today. We went strickly on Phenotypes and not on genotypes.

Check out this link if you wish to learn more about Fruit Flies LOL

http://www.exploratorium.edu/exhibit...ant_flies.html

Quote Originally Posted by Team9nine
    Actually, studies show that hybrids are much more common than originally thought. Many of the AL and GA lakes have them to a certain degree. I've also seen studies out of MN showing they have them also. As far as a percent of the population it tends to be on the low side. I've sen 1-10% as the common range.

As for growth, it is commonly referred to as hybrid vigor. The F1's (first year cross) are the ones growing so quick. They also have what is called Fx's which are second generation hybrids. These don't grow quite as quickly as the "vigor" gets diminished as the genes get diluted.

This also means though that hybrids are not sterile, and can reproduce normally with the rest of the population. However, you don't see many Fx generation fish suggesting that there might be some issues with either the success of the eggs or the young fish's ability to survive.

Lastly, it is very hard to pick a hybrid out of a crowd. Even the biologists misidentified hybrids as either a black or a white a bunch of the time. Only sure way to know is to have the fishs' DNA tested as the hybrid tends to have characteristics of both of its parents.

-Team9
    Last edited by Moose1am; 12-17-2004 at 12:02 PM.
    Regards,

Moose1am

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow and another thing ....

I've read a few articles/posts that refer to the "hybrid Blacknose Crappie" at Weiss Lake......and we all know that Blacknose aren't really "hybrids", at all - just Black Crappie with a marker gene in the pigmentation array.

I've fished Weiss a few times, but never caught any Blacknose there ... only at Watts Bar. I couldn't really tell you if I caught any "hybrid" Crappie from Weiss ... none of them really seemed any different acting, than any of the others. I do know one thing, though --- the Crappie at Watts Bar do seem to "cut up" quite a bit more than Crappie I've caught from other lakes, especially the larger Black Crappie. And the Blacknose from there are the only Crappie, in any waters I've fished, that have a tendancy to go "airborne" on you, when you stick the steel to them !! Not that I'm complaining ... :D ... actually I find it quite exhilarating ! .....cp

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

CP, now that you mention it, up here in N/W Pa., in my home lake, i had quite a lot of 11"ers go airborne on me this season. Jumped so high i thought they were bass... Thank goodness they weren't. Don't want to waste time on those things.

Post Thanks / Like

The crappie in my aquarium will jump out of the water when I scare them. This only happens sometimes when I am trying to remove them so that I can clean the gravel in the aquarium. A job that I hate to do. I usually will take a big soft net and net the crappie out of the aquarium. On more than one occasion the crappie will take off and jump right out of the aquarium and onto the floor. Only the soft carpet cusions their fall. I say that they are falling about 4ft or so from the top of the aquarium to the floor.

Never had a big crappie actually jump out of the water on me. I have had them swim around a submerged tree and try to tie me up. LOL The big crappie that I caugth at Patoka lake did this and I almost lost him.

God I love to catch big crappie. Just wish I could catch more of them.

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    I've read a few articles/posts that refer to the "hybrid Blacknose Crappie" at Weiss Lake......and we all know that Blacknose aren't really "hybrids", at all - just Black Crappie with a marker gene in the pigmentation array.

I've fished Weiss a few times, but never caught any Blacknose there ... only at Watts Bar. I couldn't really tell you if I caught any "hybrid" Crappie from Weiss ... none of them really seemed any different acting, than any of the others. I do know one thing, though --- the Crappie at Watts Bar do seem to "cut up" quite a bit more than Crappie I've caught from other lakes, especially the larger Black Crappie. And the Blacknose from there are the only Crappie, in any waters I've fished, that have a tendancy to go "airborne" on you, when you stick the steel to them !! Not that I'm complaining ... :D ... actually I find it quite exhilarating ! .....cp
    Regards,

Moose1am

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast