Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Clear Line?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best Clear Line?

Whats the best (strongest) clear line used for straight down jiggin?
    Last edited by fe1; 01-22-2014 at 04:29 PM. Reason: spellin

Post Thanks / Like

By definition, all 4# lines break at 4# of pressure. The same goes for 6#, 8#, 10#, etc. So, there is no “strongest” 4/6/8/10 pound line. That’s the theory, anyway. In practice, lines almost always “overtest”. That is, they are stronger than what it says on the package. All else being equal, a thicker line is a stronger line

Post Thanks / Like

OK. Let me rephrase.
    What line line would be best for fishing 1/16oz jig in stumps and brush?
    I usually use PowerPro HiVis yellow but I've seen days when it would'nt catch compared to clear fluorescent line.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    By definition, all 4# lines break at 4# of pressure. The same goes for 6#, 8#, 10#, etc. So, there is no “strongest” 4/6/8/10 pound line. That’s the theory, anyway. In practice, lines almost always “overtest”. That is, they are stronger than what it says on the package. All else being equal, a thicker line is a stronger line
    I would also add that "quality" of production has waned over the last several years, and some line brands that used to be made here, and are now made overseas (China/Taiwan), are not as good as they used to be (or so says a lot of our members).

Currently, the "clear" lines I use are BPS Excel (USA made version) and Vicious Panfish. The hi-vis lines I use are Vicious Panfish & Mr Crappie Super Hi-vis (USA made version). The BPS Excel & Mr Crappie lines are monofilament, whereas the Vicious Panfish is a co-poly.

You can get a 1/4lb spool (approx 3000yds) of Vicious Panfish for around $7 (online @ Tackle Center) but the shipping/handling charges are about $6
    But, while that sounds like a lot of money for shipping, you have to compare that to what it would cost you to drive to the nearest store that carried that brand & in that size spool.

... cp

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

STREN, ORIGINAL 8LB. CLEAR BLUE FLORECENT .
    Likes chaunc LIKED above post

jigfisherx is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General, MO Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Try P-line original. Most tackle stores don't stock it but I have my shop order 3000 yd spools in 4 & 6 pound. Looks grey on the spool but my fishing buddies and I love it.
    God bless Charlie Brewer and Bobby Garland.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

When they get fussy I just add a 5 or 6 foot piece of flouro to the end of the braid. The braid is so sensitive I hate to give it up, and when you store the rod with the hook tied down in front of the reel the flouro is dead straight and is more sensitive than mono. I use 10lb flouro on 10lb braid and join them with a double uni knot. Easier to re-tie when changing also.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    When they get fussy I just add a 5 or 6 foot piece of flouro to the end of the braid. The braid is so sensitive I hate to give it up, and when you store the rod with the hook tied down in front of the reel the flouro is dead straight and is more sensitive than mono. I use 10lb flouro on 10lb braid and join them with a double uni knot. Easier to re-tie when changing also.
    Do you fish heavy brush with the 10# line? Is it strong enough to straighten the hook on a 1/16 oz jig to retrieve it?

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Disco. I just pick my colors, not who made it.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I like Fluro carbon for single pole vert fishing .... No stretch and sensitive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast