Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camera Recommendations?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Camera Recommendations?

So I don't have much luck catching fish and I thought I should maybe try some photography while I'm out on the water. We have lots of birds around so I've been looking at the Canon SX 50 Hs and I'd like to get your opinions on this, or something similar. It costs around $400, so I guess that would be a baseline budget for me. I don't care much for the idea of changing lenses, but I'm so uneducated in photography that I'd like to hear from those of you who have been at it for a while.

Appreciate your thoughts....good or bad

Corker is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General - Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Both expert and owner ratings and comments are very favorable--here's a good comparison with 4 other cameras with similar features. This camera has an awesome zoom lens! Long zooms can reach out and bring shy wildlife right up close, but there are always tradeoffs. Most importantly, you must have good illumination. If it's a bright sunny day, you'll get some amazing pictures. When your subject is in the shadows or the light level is low for other reasons, the camera's automatic controls will have a hard time adjusting shutter speed and exposure. That usually means blurry or grainy images. Unless you have a rock steady hand or are using a tripod, it's hard to avoid blurry images when the magnification is high and light level is anything short of intense sun. In spite of the inherent difficulties of using long zooms, the users report getting good images.

Some of the user ratings say the battery life is short and that you should invest in one or more backup battery packs and a car charger. Also, you should get the fastest SD card available.

If you decide to buy this camera, PLEASE share your experience with us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Corker View Post
    Both expert and owner ratings and comments are very favorable--here's a good comparison with 4 other cameras with similar features. This camera has an awesome zoom lens! Long zooms can reach out and bring shy wildlife right up close, but there are always tradeoffs. Most importantly, you must have good illumination. If it's a bright sunny day, you'll get some amazing pictures. When your subject is in the shadows or the light level is low for other reasons, the camera's automatic controls will have a hard time adjusting shutter speed and exposure. That usually means blurry or grainy images. Unless you have a rock steady hand or are using a tripod, it's hard to avoid blurry images when the magnification is high and light level is anything short of intense sun. In spite of the inherent difficulties of using long zooms, the users report getting good images.

Some of the user ratings say the battery life is short and that you should invest in one or more backup battery packs and a car charger. Also, you should get the fastest SD card available.

If you decide to buy this camera, PLEASE share your experience with us.
    Thanks Corker for the info....I am buying one soon also and this helps.....
    good luck "vic n" with your purchase...
    The "King" is coming
    This could be the Day....
    RETIRED LOUISIANA CRAPPIE HUNTER

Post Thanks / Like

Large storage capacity cards also... as large as you can get and afford.

As in another discussion ... buy multiple SD cards.

I keep one in cam and 4 in bag

Number them too.

Hate to have that perfect opportunity arise and be full up on a card.

Post Thanks / Like

All good info, guys....thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Ghosts View Post
    Looks like the top of the line is currently the SDXC family of cards, which supports capacities up to 2 TB and speeds up to 300 MB/s. (That's A LOT of room for ongoing improvements in speed and capacity!) Card size will be displayed clearly, but the speed ratings require some decoding. This chart shows what's fast, faster, and "would you like to see that again?"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by prefers shiners View Post
    I am buying one soon....
    This could become contagious.

Post Thanks / Like

I love taking pics out in the boat whlie fishing as well. zoom was also important to me. My daughter who does a lot of photograhy suggested i look at the fuji SL1000. 50 ZOOM. $500 I FOUND IT FOR $260 FREE SHIPPING.(through beach cam) LOVE IT. the camera is made very very well and the setting for everything are perfectly planned for reach.
    CG1 "Dances with fish"

Post Thanks / Like

I settled on the Canon Powershot SX280....12 mp & 20x Opt zoom.....3" LCD....I do not need a lot of zoom and I wanted something I could fit in my pocket.....$195 shipped.....
    The "King" is coming
    This could be the Day....
    RETIRED LOUISIANA CRAPPIE HUNTER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Ghosts View Post

As in another discussion ... buy multiple SD cards.

I keep one in cam and 4 in bag

Number them too.

Hate to have that perfect opportunity arise and be full up on a card.
    I'd argue against large cards and in favor of a lot of cards.

I had a big one go bad on me a few years ago and lost around 400 pictures. Now I stick to about 100 on a card and then swap even if the card will hold more. If I'm on a trip, I back them up to a portable backup device as soon as I can and keep them on the card until I get home so I have two copies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast