Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wills' private eye

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up wills' private eye

strange thing happened today. i foul hooked a bluegill in the eye today and ripped his eyeball out while fighting him. he tore off, but left his eyeball on my jig. now normally i would have taken the thing off my jig and replaced it with a crappie nibble, but i was in a hurry. i continued to fish.

after two hours of fishing i caught seven nice crappie and one bass with this jig that had an eyeball on it. finally i set the hook on something that was in charge. i mean in charge. it turned out to be a crappie that weighed 2lb. 13oz.

now, i've never used a jig with an eye on it before, but you can bet that when i go to the water tomorrow, i will have a sack full of eyeballs.lol

KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good day i'll give your new trick a try you might be on to something,was ya on bee lake?
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

As a kid when we ran out of bait we would always use the eyeballs of fish just so we could still fish and diddn't have to go home and that is a good bait to use for yellow perch up north if you cant get minnows.

NIMROD is online now Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barn dog
    As a kid when we ran out of bait we would always use the eyeballs of fish just so we could still fish and diddn't have to go home and that is a good bait to use for yellow perch up north if you cant get minnows.
    Barn Dog you beat me to it ,but we used to use Bluegill eyeballs for bait when we ran out as a kid too. They will hit them very well ,just gross rippin eyes out of our fish .:o
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, this is a new for me, I will have to try it. Sound like ya had a good day fishin too. Hmm, eye ball bait...

Gonefission
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Funny you post this because I have been going back and putting eyes on my personal jigs to see if that helps. I keep seeing in my mind a quote from a guy I read on the Internet about eyes on jigs and flies. Any the quote had to do with someone asking about taking the time to put eyes on and why or would it help and here it is......"Have you ever seen a bait fish without eye?"

This started me thinking and all my life I have seen nature use eyes to distract predators. Even a red fish has the black spot on his tail, but butterflies, and many other animals that use a false eye so when that are attacked the attacker hits the wrong spot. So that is why I am trying this out.

I guess I am a bit skeptical that it will actually help because I have always been pretty lucky catching fish and most of my jigs have no eyes. However I am always for finding something that will make it even better.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

this is totally new to me. my question is how does the eye stay on after so many fish? you caught 8 fish using the same eyeball? seems like it woudl be mushy and fall off. i'll definitly give it a go. i'm sure i have somem weird tool in my tackle box that will double as a fish eye popper outer.
    "We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect"
    -Aldo Leopold

Post Thanks / Like

fryguy the eyes are tougher than you may think. The outside is actually hard to pull off your hook when caught on it.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Default This is deeply troubling

No I am not a tree hugger. My ultimate fantasy involves an electro-shocking
    boat from Dept of Fish & Game, 1/2 gal of Jim Beam, and 2 strippers from Gigis' Cabaret down the road here in Newport News.

I am just concerned about the less ethical fishermen who will no doubt go out on the water to collect enough eyeballs for the days fishing and take BOTH from a fish before returning it to the water. Do you fathom the ramifications this practice carries?
    Fish will have to feed in braille.
    Fish will have blunt, raw noses from running into things.
    Will there be seeing-eye fish?
    How ya gonna feel when you punch ones ticket with your prop & its blind?

I think you should just have the decency to wait until you or someone you know of or run into has caught some fish and then pop, or ask permission to pop the eyeballs of the deceased out.
    Jeff
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast