Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Soft Cloth Rod Sack Or Bag: Where To Get ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Soft Cloth Rod Sack Or Bag: Where To Get ?

Hello,

Guess this dates me, but in the "old days" rods, even the inexpensive ones, usually came with a simple soft cloth
    sack or bag to protect it. Guess those days are over, although the expensive fly rods still seem to.

I've been searching the web, and have looked at Amazon, BassPro, Cabelas, etc, but cannot find anyplace that
    offers them. Surprised, as I would think there would be some kind of interest in them.

I don't want the kind with a reel holder/protector built into it; all I am after is the very simple cloth rod sack

Might anyone suggest a source ?

Thanks,
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Both Bass Pro and Cabela's sell them.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    Both Bass Pro and Cabela's sell them.
    Indeed they do !! I have both ... the BPS Rod "Sock" and Cabela's Rod "Cover". They're not "cloth", however ... but, nylon. And at anywhere from $4-$8 or more, each ... I can't imagine what a cloth version would cost.

I guess you could make your own ... find a "bed in a bag" sheet set (sale price around $18-$20) and cut the pattern/length needed for each rod, then sew them up (sewing machine helpful).

I purchased my "socks/covers" to cover my rods when placed in the rod locker of the boat, so that lines wouldn't get tangled ... and make it easier to remove any one rod from the pile, without fear of tangling or damaging the others.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    Indeed they do !! I have both ... the BPS Rod "Sock" and Cabela's Rod "Cover". They're not "cloth", however ... but, nylon. And at anywhere from $4-$8 or more, each ... I can't imagine what a cloth version would cost.
    Cabela's did sell the cloth ones at one time. (I bought some.) I think they were in the fly fishing accessories.

ESBguy is offline Slabmaster II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Fifths of Crown Royal. Bonus - you get a beverage!
    Leroy
    HL Outdoors - the Everlasting Slip Bobber
    www.slipbobber.com

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    Cabela's did sell the cloth ones at one time. (I bought some.) I think they were in the fly fishing accessories.
    Indeed they do : http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishi...3Bcat104541480

They're polyester ... reviews are mixed pros/cons about equal. About $9 each for 6.5-7' rods.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    Indeed they do !! I have both ... the BPS Rod "Sock" and Cabela's Rod "Cover". They're not "cloth", however ... but, nylon. And at anywhere from $4-$8 or more, each ... ... cp
    Agreed. Every now and then I toss them together without a rod sock and it always reminds me of why I use them. Much quicker than having to untangle or cut off lines and retie. I take them off when I get to the lake and put them back on when I get back to the dock. You don't want a bunch of rod socks lying around in your boat or they'll wind up in the water.

There's usually a wire at the top of the rod handle to hang your hook. Hang your jig there, tighten line and then wrap it a time or two around your rods for running down the lake. This keeps them from tangling while you are fishing or running to another spot.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Robert: If you can sew or get somebody who can you can make your own easily. Go to a fabric store and get flannel material, the color you want. Cut them out and sew them up. I added ties to mine and made them for about $6.00 each. I was able to get my niece to sew them for me. Good Luck O - R