PDA

View Full Version : side pulling fishing poles

TowboatTroller
01-18-2014, 02:40 AM
What's best poles and spinning reels to use for side pulling. Guess both options if you where gonna splurge the no.1 combo and then whats the best rod and spinning reel for the money??? Can you get by with really good pole and decent reels???
Thanks hope to get some good info

TowboatTroller
01-18-2014, 02:44 AM
Idk if it matters but mostly fishing pickwick

M R Dux
01-18-2014, 09:04 AM
You could start with B&Ms Roger Gant series rods.

http://www.bnmpoles.com/p-209-the-difference-by-roger-gant.aspx

Brn2fsh
01-18-2014, 09:34 AM
When I'm long lining I use the cabelas depth master 2 line counters and their depthmaster trolling poles. They work fine for walleye also

Cray
01-18-2014, 09:34 AM
Phluger President reels on those rods.

Brn2fsh
01-18-2014, 09:52 AM
Personally, I like line counter reels ( bait casters) for long lining. Repeatability is the key, you really need to know what depth that bait is , not only to catch fish, but to give you the control that makes you a better fisherman. My daughter used to use Zebco 33 combos with rapala brand clamp on line counters till I got her her own better line counter reels. Pflueger does make some awesome reels though. I have more than a few!

yikess
01-18-2014, 12:38 PM
Personally, I like line counter reels ( bait casters) for long lining. Repeatability is the key, you really need to know what depth that bait is , not only to catch fish, but to give you the control that makes you a better fisherman. My daughter used to use Zebco 33 combos with rapala brand clamp on line counters till I got her her own better line counter reels. Pflueger does make some awesome reels though. I have more than a few!

You can you throw 1/8th or 1/16th ounce jigs to long line with a line counter reel like the Okuma's? I can only throw a Bandit 300 40 - 50 feet consistently.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Brn2fsh
01-18-2014, 03:23 PM
Well, when you put it that way! Lol. What I do is let a few feet of line out so the bait gets into the water. If the bait puts up enough drag, loosen up the spool tension knob till the bait pulls line. This way you can release line on multiple poles at the same time. If the bait won't pull line off the spool, you gave to do it slowly, by hand. I like to pull cranks, they almost always pull line off the reels

TowboatTroller
01-18-2014, 05:06 PM
The line counter reels on baitcaster I guess you want to have them all the same length??? How far do you cast long lining??

tenncrappie
01-18-2014, 05:09 PM
President reels Pinnicle rods from Grizzly 4 rods for 60 bucks. can't beat it.

Brn2fsh
01-18-2014, 10:08 PM
Ok, let's say I wanna troll cranks, say a #6 flickershad. Now, I wanna work the main lake, where a feeder cut comes into the main channel,say its 18 feet deep there. Now, the depth finder is showing fish from 12 feet deep, all the way down into the feeder cut, flickershads come with a table on the back of the package telling you how deep they go with a certain amount of line out, let's say a #6 will dive to11 feet with 70 feet out, and 12 feet deep with 80 feet of line out. I'll set out 2 poles, 1 at 11 feet deep (70 feet back) and 1 at 11 feet deep ( 80 feet back) in ohio we are allow 2 poles per person, I usually start with a confidence color, the same on both lures, 2 colors if using 4 poles, now I'll troll over the cut, and see what I can catch. I usually run the top of the school first and work my way down. Vary speed ( trolling motor) lure color and depth ( line out) for best results. I wanna say that if you're getting the results you want with spinning gear and throwing it a cast back, MORE POWER TO YA! Just because we do things differently, we're all just fisherman at the end of the day.

TowboatTroller
01-19-2014, 05:14 AM
Thanks guys I'll check the pinnacle and president reels out!! Appreciate info brntofish I'll give it a try on the cranks! I just wanna be able to catch fish anytime I wanna go. There pretty easy late march during spawn but that's the only way or time I've ever caught them. I need to catch a lot for freezer!!

CRoberts
01-19-2014, 10:58 AM
I use 8 ft B'n'm Roger Gant "Difference" poles with Lew's Wally Marshall WM 100 reels. My brother in law uses 4 different rods of varying lengths, and 4 different reels. I prefer everything matched, for consistency, but at the end of the day we always are pretty even on the catch totals.

TowboatTroller
01-19-2014, 03:11 PM
Thanks crobert that's a good looking combo are those reels spinning reels I guess? What lb test line do you use jig size and length of line let out?? Also just curious what kinda trolling motor do you use on the side ?? Thanks man!!!

TowboatTroller
01-19-2014, 03:38 PM
How do you get accurate length of line out every time ?? Is there a certain way to do this? I've heard people talking about line counter is that on certain reels or separate attachment??

CRoberts
01-19-2014, 03:41 PM
Those are spinning reels. They are a 6 bearing reel and sell for around $30. I've got 2 seasons on mine and I have had no problems. Check them out at Lew's website. I use a 6 lb test on them. With the pole and reel together, you are looking at about $80 bucks per combo. If you want to see them locally, Roger Gant's store across from the paper mill in Counce has the rods, and you can see the reels at Lonnie's in Corinth.

Jig size and line length vary depending on wind speed and fish depth. We just adjust to get the jigs where the fish are. Our trolling motor is an old motor guide, it's what my Dad had on the boat, but anything will work. You are mostly using it to steer unless there is no breeze.

CRoberts
01-19-2014, 03:51 PM
How do you get accurate length of line out every time ?? Is there a certain way to do this? I've heard people talking about line counter is that on certain reels or separate attachment??

I just use the pole length as a gauge. If the fish are 8 ft deep, then I pull out 1 pole length of line, then another 2 feet to allow for the distance from the rod tip to the water, and then any additional line to compensate for the wind. The example here would be on a slow to almost still day. If there is a strong breeze, then you will need more line to get the depth, or add more weight to keep from having to add more line. We have used a Capps and Coleman rig with both minnows and jigs in higher wind, just to keep from putting out a lot of line.

TowboatTroller
01-19-2014, 04:11 PM
Is this how roger fishes?? I was thinkin side pullin y'all where letting out 70-80 feet of line fishing 20 ft deep

CRoberts
01-19-2014, 04:47 PM
I can't vouch for how the Gant's do it, just how we do it in our boat. Of course he is guide a national champ, and we just fish for fun. I have thought about hiring him to guide one day, just to see how what we are doing compares though

TowboatTroller
01-19-2014, 04:56 PM
I'll have to try what your saying I'm sure you catch a lot of fish!! What's the crappie been doing lately on pickwick are they 20-25 foot deep? Say the depth is 25ft and fish are around 18-20ft maybe stump flat or something. What depth would you fish? Would you use like 1/2 ounce sinker on bottom at 20ft and couple jigs above that 18in apart or so with minnow on them??

TowboatTroller
01-19-2014, 04:59 PM
I usually put in at Burton branch so probably be fishing around dry creek mostly. I like yellow creek but lot of people. Waterloo is good for me too idk much about the fishing there but I know the lake.

TowboatTroller
01-19-2014, 05:09 PM
Guess you wanna setup with rods on port side and trolling motor on starboard ? Put your starboard side broadside to the wind where your line goes over the area before the boat does?? Do you have to use a bridal or a lead off front and back of boat like a v then lead off middle of v to a wind sock or old chain off starboard side to hold your boat back even in the wind?

CRoberts
01-19-2014, 07:22 PM
My boat is currently out of commission. I haven't been on the water in months. Now that deer season is over, it's time to get the boat going.

Corinth Fraz
01-20-2014, 02:01 PM
I use B&M Roger Gant Rods in 9' with Wally Marshall low profile bait cast reel. Use P-Line 8 lb test line in a hi vis. Tie one 1/4 oz jig on bottom & another one 1/4 oz jig about 15" above the bottom jig. Have a premeasured mark on your rod at about 18 in. Then look at you graph at water depth your fishing. For every foot of water pull 18 inches of line. Then side pull at about .7mph to .9mph & you jig should ride about 2 ft off the bottom. Works like charm. side trolling allows you to cover a large section of water. That's my set up boys...

TowboatTroller
01-21-2014, 01:04 AM
If its 20ft of water and you pull 20x18 the angle I guess will have it couple feet off the bottom?? Or do you mean the actual depth of fish? Say its 20ft water fish are 15ft would you pull 20x18 or 15x18?? Also curious to what kinda jig you use and whether you use plastic or minnows ?? Or both at same time?
Can you still buy those trolling motor brackets from roger at his store?? I'm fixing to order a trolling motor and bracket what's best trolling motor??

TowboatTroller
01-21-2014, 02:33 PM
Corinth Fraz ??
Do you use any drift socks??

Corinth Fraz
01-21-2014, 04:33 PM
No I have never used a drift sock. I've seen times I wish I had one though. I use hair jigs & start tipping with minnows about June. I use straight jigs the rest of the time. I usually try to fish just about 1 to 2 ft from the bottom unless the fish are suspended up several feet. Example: if the water is 20ft & the fish look to be at 15ft, then I would use the 15ft mark as my number to pull. About 15 pulls of 18in and troll at about .7 to 1 mph & the jigs seem to hit just about right. Keep in mind, crappie never bite down, they bite up. So if you are below them, they wont hit it. This is the way I do it. Lots of others do different & have great success also.:ThumbsUp

savannah area
01-21-2014, 04:57 PM
Ha Corinth fraz do you ever pull crank baits at pickwick area,I sure missed mr.kents fishing reports on pickwick on crappie 101 .

skiptomylu
01-21-2014, 04:59 PM
I ling line 1/32 Oz Roadrunners and use several different poles, but one I use a good bit in the BnM Bucks Ultimate as it has plenty of backbone and fast tip. I use more high end Shimano Spinning reels.

Corinth Fraz
01-21-2014, 05:09 PM
Nah, I'm a side puller/jig fisherman. I know those crank bait guys can sure put em in the boat.I have bought a lot of jigs from Skip at Thumpit Jigs & also use Gant jigs. Works for me most of the time....

blueball
01-21-2014, 07:33 PM
what knot do u use on ur jigs when u side pull,thanks

Nah, I'm a side puller/jig fisherman. I know those crank bait guys can sure put em in the boat.I have bought a lot of jigs from Skip at Thumpit Jigs & also use Gant jigs. Works for me most of the time....

TowboatTroller
01-21-2014, 08:16 PM
Thanks Fraz!!
Appreciate all the info on this guys beenlots of hhelp!! Can't wait to be off this river boat and in a crappie boat sideways!!!! Lol I'm sure I'll ask the same things over a few times bare with me over the next few months maybe I'll catch some fish to show y'all..
Thanks again!!!

TowboatTroller
01-22-2014, 03:49 AM
Corinth Fraz..
One more question could you post some pics of your boat particularly the side trolling mount and motor?? Trying to figure where to mount mine. What it looks like folded down and up.