Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glass Blank Spinning Rod From Bass Pro ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Glass Blank Spinning Rod From Bass Pro ?

Hello,

Per your suggestions, I have looked at the descriptions for the Bass Pro Micro Lite spinning rods in 7'6" length.

They have the usual graphite construction ones for around $45, but also have a Glass construction rod for
    $ 20.00.

Both are relatively cheap, but was wondering about the Glass one, as I have never had a Glass blanked rod.

What, if any, are the advantages of Glass over Graphite ?
    Is it just cost, or are there really some ?

Any opinion(s) on the Bass Pro Micro Lite Glass specifically ?
    (some of the descriptions use Ultra Lite rather than Micro Lite; no idea why ?)

Regards,
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Fiberglass is heavier and less sensitive than graphite. OTOH, it can withstand more abuse.

IMO, graphite is worth the extra money.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What he said. Most glass offerings I've handles have what's called a parabolic bend. That means they bend from right in front of the handle thru the tip with little backbone thru the midsection that gives us control over bigger fish. The graphite do a better job for a little more $ and I like them more. Best thing to do is hold em side by side in the store and compare. Don't buy until you feel what you're buying.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I own the graphite model and have held the glass model in my hands. The graphite model rod (brown) is a good rod. The glass rod (yellow) feels like a buggy whip and has zero backbone.

Post Thanks / Like

I think each has its place after all why would you use a rod meant for Moby Dick when your fishing for Nimo.

FISH ON
    Likes ehall LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
    I own the graphite model and have held the glass model in my hands. The graphite model rod (brown) is a good rod. The glass rod (yellow) feels like a buggy whip and has zero backbone.
    I was in Bass Pro today and held both rods. The fiberglass definitely has a softer action.

Post Thanks / Like

If you get a graphite you can go ultra light. Step up to light if going glass.

Ultra light graphite are rather fragile and break easy.

Ultra light glass are very whippy and useless in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi All,

Just a quick thanks for the really good suggestions.
    Will undoubtedly stick to Graphite.

But, still can't believe how easily my 7'6" St. Crox tip broke when I had on, at most, perhaps a 1.5 Largemouth
    Everyone I asked said it was due to "high sticking," but I don't believe I had the tip pointing upwards when it happened. But, maybe.
    Just a normal retrieve and lift, and snap.
    Will be sticking to the cheaper rods from now on; frankly, I don't see all that much of a difference between the expensive and relatively inexpensive ones.
    They all, probably, come out of the same factory in China.

Much appreciated.
    Great Forum and folks.

Fun trying to decide what to get for the Spring, as another snowstorm gets ready to hit us.
    Ah, Spring.

Regards,
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MonteSS View Post
    Ultra light graphite are rather fragile and break easy.
    Not in my experience. I've got a boat load of ultralights and have never broken one. The blanks are thinner so they won't withstand the abuse of a big Ugly Stik. If you take care of them, though, they'll last for years. My oldest graphite UL rods are over 30 years old, and they're doing just fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert11 View Post
    I don't see all that much of a difference between the expensive and relatively inexpensive ones.
    They all, probably, come out of the same factory in China.
    That's true for a lot of rods but not St. Croix. They build most of their rods here in the US. I have three SC rods and think they're great. Your rod may have been damaged which resulted in a weak spot in the blank.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast