Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which rod would be the best to use?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Which rod would be the best to use?

I am wondering which rod you all think would be the best to use for what I do. I fish from the bank always, no boat. I have a 6' ultralight and a 4'6" ultralight both from BPS. I prefer the smaller as it is one piece and thinner, obviously. I use tube jigs and others suspended under a bobber or skinny float as well as weedless sliders and tiny IKAs. I like to concentrate on using one rod to simplify things. I fish lakes that are around 5 feet deep. Which rod do you suggest I use? Thanks in advance.

Dave

East TN, Douglas,Cherokee,Watuga and South Holston
    Post Thanks / Like

split the difference and use a 5' rod
    Speck

Real men troll for crappie (Here Fishy Fishy !)

Post Thanks / Like

i am a shore fisherman, too. I've found the 5.5 is best for casting/retrieving fishing with jigs and the longer poles to be better for slipbobber fishing. The extra length lets you cast farther (usually to deeper water) where the slip bobber can work more effectively.

the next generation of slabhunters

Post Thanks / Like

When I fish the banks of the rivers all I use is the 4'6" ultra lites. They cast a mile with a short flick of the wrist and you can around obstacles on the bank, such as low limbs and brush. You will be using lite line of course so the limber rod with the drag set right will give you the ability to pull out that big'n. I have pulled up some nasty fight'n bowfin(blackfish, grinel, whatever you call'm) and if will handle them, you can bet you bottom dollar it will handle them crappies. Happy Fish'n
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

Dave,

I cut my teeth on the 4'-5' ultra lights but have abandoned them for all my shore fishing. I picked up a 7.5' BPS Microlight a couple of weeks ago and have been fishing it hard. I was AMAZED at the added casting difference I got, even with 1/32 oz. beetle spins and fairly thick 4lb. line. I liked the rod so much, I went out and got another! (They're on sale now for $29.99.)

The added length will help in setting the hook and in your float fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thats what I have

Both mine are microlights. After using the smaller one, the 6 foot seems so big. I hate using heavier tackle, even if it still is light. 7.5', huh, I will have to look at that. I love the microlights, they are a great value at 29.99.

Post Thanks / Like

You can't go wrong with the 4'6" ultra lites I have 10 of them and fish them often... Distance is not a factor if you marry the correct line with the reel your are using. I like to use 4lb fireline, it is small, strong, and cast well, with low memory. Setting the hook when using a bobber is not a problem, because there isn't any stretch in fireline.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Post Thanks / Like

I use yo-zuri hybrid ultrasoft in 4lb test, which has the strength of 8lb test. I move the snags when my jig gets caught, or the hook bends. It is great line that lasts a long time. It casts well with low stretch and memory. I love my 4'6" and use it all the time but it seems everyone is into the longer rods and they will be better for hooksets with float fishing, which is 95% of my fishing. The 6 foot rod is nice but it just seems too big. I like to go as light as possible, in fact I use the 4 foot rod for bass as well. It will land anything as long as the drag and line are good.

Post Thanks / Like

Use what works for you... I also use the yo-zuri and love the stuff, but change last year on my ultra lites as well as my 12-14ft jig rods. I have a lot of rods, but all I use off the banks of the river is my 4'6", but like I said I'm fishing trees and brush, so I need a short rod. I do not set the hook on crappie or any fish when fishing under bobber.

Post Thanks / Like

Dave,

I float fish about 99% of the time (got you beat by 4%!). When I use bait (which is often), my rods are 12-14 footers. But for casting light jigs, I like shorter rods. The 7.5' is the best compromise I've found so far.

Just because a rod is a little longer doesn't mean it's not light. There are 7-9' fly rods on the market that are lighter than any spinning rod.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast