Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Longest Cast... Looking for the record...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Longest Cast... Looking for the record...

I know it ain't crappie, but it is fishing...

I am looking for the longest cast and I can't find it... At Cape Hatteras, NC they have a casting contest the record was broken at over 800ft, but I can't find it on the web... I want to know what kind of blanks he was using on his custom rods, etc.

I surf fish a lot and would like to check around for some of these high end rods. Thanks for any info.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

I know when I was stationed on the big island HI. they were using 13 ft plus rods and getting a running start to get several hundred yards. bank fishing is really big there they used 6 oz and up breakaway wieghts and would make there cast, then when the line was tight they added there live bait attached to a swivel and slid it down the line placeing a new bait on the line every hour. with that method they made 1 good cast and just kept adding their bait till a fish would take it

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you are reffering to King fishing? I don't fish for kings, but I know how they do it... we use the break away or spider surf sinkers when the current or surf is rough, but use several individual poles. I would like to learn a little more about the arsenal these guys use. We have a lot of guys around here who build custom beach rods. I will probably call the local tackle shop tomorrow, pretty sure they will know who set the record as well as who to contact about these custom rods.

If anyone has anymore info or comments they are still appreciated. Thanks
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Longest cast

Not sure of the rod but the reel was an Abu Garcia, here is a link...
    http://www.abugarcia.com/community_n...a1f9f86a854b93
    Love to fish. Give thanks to God for ALL things.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. Now I remember it was at the Wilmington Fair grounds. They said he through it all the way across the fair grounds. Who needs a boat? LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I remember an article in Outdoor Life or similar magazine years ago, hypeing a new method for amazingly long casts, using a circular motion with the rod tip before launching the lead. I can see how it might increase the velocity before it's directed into tragectory. Imagine the David and Goliath slingshot method, but put it into a surf rod cast, and there you have it. Seems like a lot of skill needs to be developed before it's going to serve you well enough to count on.
    I have a jig with a face like this!:eek:

Post Thanks / Like

I can make the cast using one of my 12' Tica rods and free spooling my bait casting reel... I toss a 4oz egg sinker, but not distance these guys are thowing. The trick when fishing is to keep the bait on the hook when chunking it... Hince the twirl or spin involved to get the bait "up to speed". Getting past the breakers or past the sand bar is the main objective when hurling your rig into the wild blue yonder.