Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Soft Baits: Salt Impregnated A Good Idea, Or Not ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Soft Baits: Salt Impregnated A Good Idea, Or Not ?

Hello,

For typical Crappie, smallmouth's etc. in Pond fishing, what's best regarding the soft rubber baits
    from Strike King, Yum, Mr. Twisater, etc.:

The salt impregnated ones, or go with the regular, non-salt impregnated ? Why ?

Might as well also ask: Any opinions on which brands best; sure are a lot of them these days ?

Thanks,
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Salt add weight and kills a lot of the action. I like my soft plastics soft, just add anise oil to them for scent.
    There are times for salt, if you need just a tad faster drop of the bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive never used salt impregnated baits for crappie, but in my bass fishing days I swore by it. Without salt, often times fish would hit and let go. With salt, fish would hit and if you missed them they would come back for another bite.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I just add anise to the ones I make. Occasionally I might add some garlic juice.

This thread in the archives was interesting. http://www.crappie.com/crappie/showt...ish-attractant
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Likes "D" LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I used salt bass fishing and believe in it for same reason 3weight. The so called experts claim it is like the inzimes in blood. Makes em hold on longer. Have used some tube baits for crappie with it and didn't see any real difference. For them smallmouth strike kings coffee baits are supposed to be really good. That Yum additive is supposed to be good to.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I have an acre stocked pond full of bream. The fish have become experts at stripping a worm when the grand kids fish. I put a 1/2 pink gulp on the hook, the big advantage is they are hard to get on, and hard to get off. The kids were landing a fish every 10 seconds and the piece of gulp stayed on all day. I'm going to try them this summer on the bream in the lakes.

Post Thanks / Like

just do not store any hooks with the salt baits they will rust

Post Thanks / Like

x2 with crappieseeker - you'd best have some really good storage bags for the salt ones or a separte container is even better less chance of messing up anything else.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert11 View Post
    Hello,

For typical Crappie, smallmouth's etc. in Pond fishing, what's best regarding the soft rubber baits
    from Strike King, Yum, Mr. Twisater, etc.:

The salt impregnated ones, or go with the regular, non-salt impregnated ? Why ?

Might as well also ask: Any opinions on which brands best; sure are a lot of them these days ?

Thanks,
    Bob
    Bob, not sure of the effectiveness of salt.I use fish attractant. One thing that is a nightmare, salt makes a mess and is hard to keep gear, tackle boxes, reels. hooks and etc. clean . So I don't buy baits salt impregnated baits. They have to be kept separate..... crappie1133