Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: rod holders

Post Thanks / Like

Default rod holders

i have a 1983 Trophy fiberglass stick steer boat. I want to know if it would be safe to mount rod holders on the top of the walls of it? just not sure if the fiberglass would be strong enough. the walls are about 6 inches thick. thanks in advance. JB

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you access the under side of the areas you might want to mount them to? 1st, buy HiTeks. Then take the bases and cut pieces of plywood a bit larger than the bolt pattern on the bases. Drill the plywood then drill the top rails of your boat. Insert the stainless steel bolts all the way thru the base, boat, and plywood and put fender washers on the bottom of the bolt, next to the plywood. Lock it all in place with nylon locking nuts. Good to go.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrdux View Post
    Can you access the under side of the areas you might want to mount them to? 1st, buy HiTeks. Then take the bases and cut pieces of plywood a bit larger than the bolt pattern on the bases. Drill the plywood then drill the top rails of your boat. Insert the stainless steel bolts all the way thru the base, boat, and plywood and put fender washers on the bottom of the bolt, next to the plywood. Lock it all in place with nylon locking nuts. Good to go.
    no I can not access the underside of the area I am wanting to mount the holders

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would take a real tiny drill bit and drill a hole where you want to mount. Check to see if it has plywood under it. A lot of those older boats had plywood inserted under the glass for strength. If it does just drill pilot holes for your mounts then install your mounts. If not HomeDepot sells a bolt with insert that you could use.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Mounting the bases with silicone underneath takes some of the stress from the screws and distributes it all over the base. Solvent clean both surfaces to insure a good bond.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around