Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about swallowed hooks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about swallowed hooks

Most of the time when I catch a crappie that has swallowed the hook and it needs to be kept alive (too small or I transport a legal one to my pond) I just cut the line since I usually end up killing the fish trying to pull the hook out with pliers. My question is is it true the hook will eventually come out? If so how long does it take for the hook to come out?

Post Thanks / Like

How long does it take for hook to rust out of the water?

I wouldn't think it would take to long, but I also think the fish probably dies anyway.

I do the same thing... if I can't get it with pliers, I just cut the line.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

With crappie and bass, I will generally try the rotate and work through the gill plate method shown several times in In-Fisherman. It's amazing how easily the hook will *usually* come out.

Otherwise, I cut the line right at the hook. I've read that most of the time, if the fish survives, the flesh pulls away from the hook and it is dislodged that way -sort of how a splinter will fester in your finger until it pops out. Don't know if that is true or not.

I've gotten in the habit of pinching down the barbs on everything but my minnow hooks and that makes removal easier, too. - Roberta
    Last edited by Roberta; 10-27-2006 at 06:57 AM.
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

I too cut the line. fromm what I read the fish should live.
    Bill

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation turkeyfootnc ....

I don't know how long it takes for a fish to dissolve the hook, or pass it .... but, I have caught fish "still in the process of passing" one, and even one where there was a rusty, "hook shaped" cavity in the belly meat section (no hook left).

Cutting the hook or line gives them at least a fighting chance to survive. There are even tools designed to cut the hook (and no, I'm not referring to "sidecutters") down at the throat cavity. Cutting the hook will at least give the fish a better chance at passing it .... but, cutting the line is better than "slaughterhouse surgery". Even if you can run an instrument thru the gills and turn the hook .... you still run the risk of damaging the gills, or throat cavity (leading to almost certain mortality).

Here's the "hook cutting" instrument I'm referring to :
    http://www.dbarb.com/

............... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Generally with crappie and bream, if they've swallowed the hook that makes it impossible to remove without brutalizing the fish...I keep it. Even small ones. They'll still eat.

A fish biologist acquaintance told me once that most fish with a hook left in them will die, either from infection or the direct effects of the hook. So, mind as well eat 'em.

There is some controversy about "catch and release" of trout. Some biologist say that any handling of a trout that even slightly disturbs their protective slime, the majority of those fish will eventually succumb to infection.

I've recently started going barbless, except when using minnows, and I can't tell that I'm missing any fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Well do you keep a 9 inch crappie that you know is gonna die because of the way it was hooked or throw him back. And you are on a 10 inch minimum lake as are most of the Miss lakes I fish. It bothers me when I know the fish is gonna die and I should keep him and clean him but have to throw back in fear of a ticket??

Post Thanks / Like

Slab -- There's no minimum length that I'm aware of here in Arkansas, at least not on the waters I fish. In your case, I guess you let the 9 incher go and wish him/her well. There's no absolute to any of this unless you are dealing with regulations. I feel ridiculous sometimes keeping a dinky bream that's "hooked to death" but I do and add them to tiny filets in the freezer. I feel bad about throwing one like that back, even though my common sense tells me he will make a nice meal for a bass, or big crappie. But that's the way I feel and the way I handle it.

I run into the slot issue with trout and feel terrible about releasing some trout that are hooked and bleeding from the gills, but that's what the slot regulations require, so I do it. I've known too many people, and read stories here, about running afoul of the regs, and it's not worth it.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slabalicious
    Well do you keep a 9 inch crappie that you know is gonna die because of the way it was hooked or throw him back. And you are on a 10 inch minimum lake as are most of the Miss lakes I fish. It bothers me when I know the fish is gonna die and I should keep him and clean him but have to throw back in fear of a ticket??
    Now this one's easy. Throw it back! :D
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

The hook will not kill the fish and the hook will dissolve within a short time.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast